The Current Intel Coffee Lake Mitigation Performance Impact With Linux 5.9

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Current Intel Coffee Lake Mitigation Performance Impact With Linux 5.9

Phoronix: The Current Intel Coffee Lake Mitigation Performance Impact With Linux 5.9

Of the many new features in Linux 5.9 with its debut set for this weekend, one of the performance-related changes is Intel FSGSBASE support finally being mainlined. A half-decade after the Linux patches first appeared for this feature present in Intel CPUs going back to Ivy Bridge, the mainline kernel is now patched for this feature that can help out I/O and other context switching heavy workloads. Given many of the same workloads were negatively impacted by the CPU security mitigations of recent years, here is a look at the current mitigated vs. unmitigated performance difference on the Linux 5.9 kernel with an Intel Core i9 9900K CPU for reference on how the mitigation impact is on recent versions of the Linux kernel.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

it's a lot

Comment

This isn't margin of error bad. It's just bad. Death by a hundred security mitigations.

Comment

I'm curious to see if zen3 will finally fixed all the known bugs or we'll have to wait zen7 ...

Comment

Typo:

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
          IBPB Reptolines for Spectre V2,

Comment

Originally posted by bog_dan_ro View Post
            I'm curious to see if zen3 will finally fixed all the known bugs or we'll have to wait zen7 ...
            I'm curious to see if 14nm++++ will finally fixed all the known bugs or we'll have to wait 14nm+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ ...

Comment

Include lvi and Intel CPUs can land directly in trash.

Comment

Michael

Please test Zen 2/3, Ice Lake and Tiger Lake CPUs as well.

Originally posted by ThoreauHD View Post
                This isn't margin of error bad. It's just bad. Death by a hundred security mitigations.
                Spectre class vulnerabilities affect all OoOE CPUs in the universe, so don't be so harsh on Intel.

Originally posted by bog_dan_ro View Post
                And yes Zen 3 will be the same in this regard.
                Last edited by birdie; 09 October 2020, 07:01 PM.

Comment

It is not that the performance impact of mitigations is lower on newer Intel CPUs, the hardware one is just off the books so it looks better.

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post

I'm curious to see if 14nm++++ will finally fixed all the known bugs or we'll have to wait 14nm+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ ...
                    It's properly fixed in Tiger Lake, it appears: https://www.techradar.com/news/intel...ltdown-attacks

Comment

Working...
                    X