Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Intel Rewrites Old Haswell-Era Audio Driver Due To Bugs, Plus DG1 Audio For Linux 5.10

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intel Rewrites Old Haswell-Era Audio Driver Due To Bugs, Plus DG1 Audio For Linux 5.10

Phoronix: Intel Rewrites Old Haswell-Era Audio Driver Due To Bugs, Plus DG1 Audio For Linux 5.10

The sound subsystem updates were submitted today for the Linux 5.10 kernel with some interesting changes and new hardware support...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Haswell might be old, but it is still more than enough for most workloads including gaming. Thus the CPUs of that era draw much less power than current ones.

Comment

Originally posted by gojul View Post
      Haswell might be old, but it is still more than enough for most workloads including gaming. Thus the CPUs of that era draw much less power than current ones.
      My Haswell is still running strong, too!

Comment

With intel haswell you've got the security to be able to run all your favourite stuff.

Oh, haha, I said intel and security in one sentence.

Comment

Haswell is very modern by my standards, comes with all AVX2 goodies, most motherboard vendors released updated BIOSes to mitigate spectre vulnerability, Haswell doesn't suffer from some of the extreme slowdowns seen in Skylake during certain micro-ops, iGPU is nice too. I have my i7-4970K running 4.95GHz (all core) near stock volts, I had to go through few and return/sell until found one that overclocks this well, I have it running strong since 2015 and it has been the best CPU I had to date, I have no problem maxing out RTX 2080.

Comment

this will work for all 7gen IGPU like ivy bridge ?

Comment

Frankly, the biggest differences between Haswell and modern Intel procs is being on a bigger node, it's on DDR3, and lacks AVX512. There are a few more adjustments here and there but for the most part, Intel hasn't really done much in the past 5 years, so it's not much of a surprise that its level of performance is still relevant.

Comment

Originally posted by gojul View Post
                Is it really that much less than 88W? You can get 3700x with double the cores at that power level, although I'd agree you can still get by without upgrading if you want to.
                Last edited by smitty3268; 15 October 2020, 10:43 PM.

Comment

Working...
                X