Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More KDE Wayland Fixes Heading Into Plasma 5.20.1

Phoronix: More KDE Wayland Fixes Heading Into Plasma 5.20.1

This week marked the release of Plasma 5.20 while KDE developers continue working towards not only Plasma 5.21 as the next desktop feature release but also providing fixes for next month's Plasma 5.20.1 release and the growing collection of KDE applications...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Those fixes look like bandaids at best, when I can't even enter text properly in KRunner.
    I hope I'll find some time tomorrow to submit a few bug reports.

Comment

This one here is very important:

Originally posted by quark-sized pointy stick
      Honestly, they should not have released 5.20 without fixing this one first...
      It was extremely annoying, and I think that for a while it reset my activities...

Comment

Just tried Plasma 5.20 with Wayland. Result : If I do not downscale my UHD monitors, 2 out of 3 simply do not work. I do not understand why but this is definitely not something I can tollerate for a "production ready" system. Plasma 5.20 seems to support much more scaling options for Wayland than X11 but on my setup (3UHD+1HD) the most basic thing, scale 1 for every monitor, is not even working ! It works with the UHDs downscaled to HD but this is not what I want. I am not even talking about the buggy sddm→kwin transition and alt+ctrl terminal switching (required reboot several times).

I appreciate the great work of Plasma devs in general but Wayland support on advanced display setups is clearly horrible. I’m sticking to X11 until this is fixed.

Comment

Originally posted by ALRBP View Post
          Just tried Plasma 5.20 with Wayland. Result : If I do not downscale my UHD monitors, 2 out of 3 simply do not work. I do not understand why but this is definitely not something I can tollerate for a "production ready" system. Plasma 5.20 seems to support much more scaling options for Wayland than X11 but on my setup (3UHD+1HD) the most basic thing, scale 1 for every monitor, is not even working ! It works with the UHDs downscaled to HD but this is not what I want. I am not even talking about the buggy sddm→kwin transition and alt+ctrl terminal switching (required reboot several times).

I appreciate the great work of Plasma devs in general but Wayland support on advanced display setups is clearly horrible. I’m sticking to X11 until this is fixed.
          You may want to try KWinFT as it should support this setup much better. Unfortunately I got rid of my second monitor as of all these issues in KWin so I cannot verify this. I switched back from KWinFT to KWin on Wayland because it works better for me in regards to the subsurface issues especially with Firefox.

Comment

Please merge KWinFT ASAP and make the developer the KWin leader...

Comment

Originally posted by R41N3R View Post

You may want to try KWinFT as it should support this setup much better. Unfortunately I got rid of my second monitor as of all these issues in KWin so I cannot verify this. I switched back from KWinFT to KWin on Wayland because it works better for me in regards to the subsurface issues especially with Firefox.
              Thanks for the advice. I may try that if I have some time.

Comment

Anyone else running into this on Wayland?
                Bug 420160 - Session crashes when monitor goes into standby

Comment

Can someone tl;dr Wayland for me?

Comment

Originally posted by increasechief View Post
                    Can someone tl;dr Wayland for me?
                    It's the future. Or so they say.

Comment

Working...
                    X