Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux 5.9-ck1 Released With Updated MuQSS

Phoronix: Linux 5.9-ck1 Released With Updated MuQSS

Independent Linux kernel developer Con Kolivas (and retired anaesthetist) is back on track with a new update to his "CK" patch-set and the MuQSS scheduler...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Sincere condolences.

Comment

i wonder what skills and know-how is required to help out. this is clearly a useful project, and it would definitely benefit from more people advancing it.

Comment

Some new Kernel testing with 5.9 with different schedulers would be cool. From my own testing last weekend (only tested with the in-game benchmark of Company of Heroes 2 with Proton GE 5.9 on my Xeon 2678V3 + Vega 56), the stock Manjaro 5.9 Kernel and surprisingly even the Linux-GC variant with BMQ were far worse off and stuttery (47 fps avg and 53 fps avg) against Linux-Xanmod (without Cachy, 67 fps avg). But even Xanmod regressed from 70.5 fps which I got with 5.8.14.

But it could be just noise as runtime variation was +/- 2fps and I also custom compiled Mesa-git and llvm-git with slightly different flags and the versions used were not the same.

Comment

I just yesterday installed Zen first time on my main machine in Nixos, I just wonder how or if I feel a difference, I yesterday even failed to find a console commond to see which cpu sheduler is running .

I do emacs, browsing and watching videos... with a apu ryzen 3xxx. Another problem seems to me that I would assume for non gaming on weeker machines that would help more with (feeled) performance but that are notebooks so giving up akku runtime for it seems also not very good tradeoff.

So is it only for gamers and maybe video encoders?

Comment

I would also like new benchmarks of the different kernel flavours.

Comment

Originally posted by blackiwid View Post
              I just yesterday installed Zen first time on my main machine in Nixos, I just wonder how or if I feel a difference, I yesterday even failed to find a console commond to see which cpu sheduler is running .
              Hi,

Maybe I can clear a few things up. First off, the linux default scheduler CFS is actually not that bad. Much larger and more complicated, yes, but it is a solid design and does well with interactivity.

Next, you will only notice an improvement if scheduling is actually the reason for the slowness. It won't improve bad code. Tasks can switch in a range from tens of thousands of nanoseconds to milliseconds, but much well below the range of human notice (usually 100ms). A program lagging on your screen may have all the cpu time that it needs, but still needs to synchronize with the gpu, the window manager, xserver/wayland.

What Con's scheduler can improve is better cache coherency (tasks running on the same cpu sometimes do not have to fetch data from system memory) or a more efficient way to define what tasks should be considered interactive.

A simple way to understand how modern schedulers do this is to think of a text editing program. It launches and sits idle, requesting no cpu time. Over a short time quantum this task builds a lot of "credit" because it isn't running often and moves toward the front of the line in priority. The moment you type in the text editor, it is considered runnable, and preempts any lower priority (running more often) tasks that have executed for over a minimum duration. Once it completes a time slice it moves to the back of the line.

Comment

Working...
              X