No announcement yet.

Firefox 82 Released With Performance Improvements, Video Playback Enhancements

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Firefox 82 Released With Performance Improvements, Video Playback Enhancements

Phoronix: Firefox 82 Released With Performance Improvements, Video Playback Enhancements

Firefox 82.0 is now available as the latest release of Mozilla's web browser that continues on their expedited release cycles...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Still slower than Chrome/Chromium, what a shame...

Comment

FF 81 was a bit of a memory hog for me. It also crashed if I played a game and left it open. I changed to Nightly and it seems ok now. Will check if 82 got those fixes too.

Comment

Originally posted by timofonic View Post
        Still slower than Chrome/Chromium, what a shame...
        Not for me. Chrome never reached the speed of firefox for my workflow with many open tabs.

Comment

A note for Firefox users who 1) force WebRender (via gfx.webrender.all=true) 2) use NVIDIA proprietary drivers with 3) desktop compositing turned off.

There's a regression in this Firefox release which manifests itself in the top half of the screen being unusable, see bug 1663273 for more details. There are currently two workarounds both with their pitfalls:
          • Either export MOZ_X11_EGL=1 however this will effectively disable WebGL 2.0 (not that many websites use it anyways)
          • Or export MOZ_GTK_TITLEBAR_DECORATION=system but in this case you'll see window decorations.
          I chose the former because I don't use any websites which utilize WebGL.

Comment

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
            Phoronix: Firefox 82 Released With Performance Improvements, Video Playback Enhancements

Firefox 82.0 is now available as the latest release of Mozilla's web browser that continues on their expedited release cycles...

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...ox-82-Released
            Is this information true or false as the hardware acceleration provided for X11 graphical stack?

Comment

WTF?!
              Once there was Mozilla Suite. (formerly Netscape)
              People said "OMG it's bloated! Let's take the browser part alone and make it fast. And let's call it Firefox."
              That happened around v3. After that it became more and more obese so sometimes the whole Seamonkey suite (successor of Mozilla Suite) felt faster and had better handling.
              Now they're desparately rowing back, trying to catch up with the mess they made.

Second half is websites becoming obese to a level that is beyond silly.
              Sheer informational content in ASCII text: e.g. 4 Kilobytes (Kibibytes). That is 4096 bytes.
              Okay, add a little HTML formatting if you need.
              Images 1.2 MiB. Should be ~1288490188 bytes.
              embedded ads, "social" network buttons and the likes: several KiB to MiB
              active JavaScript code that really slows down CPU/browser just for the sake of displaying unwanted ads, unwanted cookie notices, unwanted shit and that is used to track you and mine bitcoins on your CPU and whatnot: often 2 - 4 MiB, that'd be up to 4294967296 bytes. vs. 4096 bytes of actual information.

A colourful web is okay, but this is just senseless bloat. And it makes things slow and wastes energy and time.

But this is cause "web designers" never learnt how to code, never handeled an old computer (8086 similar class, or C64 if you want, or microcontrollers). You learn to fight for every byte of RAM there...
              Stop TCPA, stupid software patents and corrupt politicians!

Comment

PS: I do no longer trust Mozilla/FF.
                Started w. Asa Dotzler's "nobody needs version numbers" (Seriously???!)
                and now their recent update on FF for Android (I know Android's nasty but you can sometimes not avoid it entirely) was such a pain. Addons dead, about:config gone and all sorts of crap, UI a desaster... but now we had "political correct naming" in the codebase, like no more black- and whitelist... *rolls eyes* And probably more emoticons, emoticons are more important than a sane browser.
                Stop TCPA, stupid software patents and corrupt politicians!

Comment

Originally posted by Adarion View Post
                  Then isn't it great that you can just walk away and cast your superior wit and positive attitude towards some other browser of your choosing?

Comment

Originally posted by Adarion View Post
                    and now their recent update on FF for Android (I know Android's nasty but you can sometimes not avoid it entirely) was such a pain. Addons dead, about:config gone and all sorts of crap, UI a desaster... but now we had "political correct naming" in the codebase, like no more black- and whitelist... *rolls eyes* And probably more emoticons, emoticons are more important than a sane browser.
                    Not a pain for me at all. I have all add-ons which are needed, plus i have enabled custom add-ons in Nightly, this allowed me to add the Redirect AMP to HTML add-on and there are no more add-ons i need right now.. The UI is not a disaster, it is the best and most usable interface i've seen on Android. Chrome is much more worse than Firefox. It had some features that were missing like tab restore but these are now here.
                    The things that you mentioned is only YOUR opinion, mine is exactly the opposite. Please do not generalize and don't speak for everyone else.
                    Last edited by mystiquewolf; 20 October 2020, 02:04 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X