Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• System76 Launches The Thelio Mega With Threadripper + Four GPUs

Phoronix: System76 Launches The Thelio Mega With Threadripper + Four GPUs

The System76 Thelio Major with AMD Ryzen Threadripper 3900 series is already a beast, but now this Linux PC vendor has managed to outdo themselves once again with the Thelio Mega...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Too expensive.

Too small case.

NVIDIA GPUs.

No, thanks...

Comment

Originally posted by timofonic View Post
      Too expensive.

Too small case.

NVIDIA GPUs.

No, thanks...
      I played with their builder and what prices I checked weren't that far off what I'd be spending on parts individually from Newegg which really surprised me. While I don't agree on their choice of GPUs, it's kind of a moot point since they'll be used by Pop OS which is based on Ubuntu which always has working Nvidia drivers unless the user is running some upstream beta kernel.

I actually like that case. I wish System76 would sell cases by themselves. I did LOL at the picture describing how intake and exhaust fans work

Comment

Anyone have any experience with their lower tier laptops? I have a thinkpad t470 that I'm looking to replace, but I've heard next to no things about their products just popOS. They are a local company for me so I'd love to support them, but I also don't have tons of money and can't really spend 1.2k on something I WANT to be good durability/feel-wise.

Comment

Where is AMD?! Even if at least Vega?

Comment

Originally posted by timofonic View Post
            Too expensive.

Too small case.

NVIDIA GPUs.

No, thanks...
            It's not that expensive for what you're getting.
            Not sure why size is a problem if it's able to fit FOUR Quadros.
            People who make money from their PCs and warrant the need of multiple GPUs tend to get Nvidia, usually because of a dependency on CUDA.
            System76 focuses on businesses, not the average person. You saying "no thanks" means nothing to them.
            EDIT:
            Should AMD cards have been used, users would likely depend on closed drivers, since (to my understanding, maybe I'm mistaken) they are more complete for compute purposes.
            Last edited by schmidtbag; 20 October 2020, 01:01 PM.

Comment

Interesting offer and like others I wonder where the AMD GPU's are. The case looks to be well thought out. Even more interesting would be getting access to the same Thread Rippers that Lenovo has access to.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
                People who make money from their PCs and warrant the need of multiple GPUs tend to get Nvidia, usually because of a dependency on CUDA.
                There may come a time when Intel or AMD or dedicated FPGA/ASIC accelerators will be effective competitors with nvidia solutions for the target workflows. But that day is not today.

Comment

This is a compute workstation. And sadly OpenCL is a disaster dumpster fire so very few commercial projects use it. They all use CUDA. Its a problem, but its not System76's problem to solve, its AMDs.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
                    It's not that expensive for what you're getting.
                    Not sure why size is a problem if it's able to fit FOUR Quadros.
                    System76 focuses on businesses, not the average person. You saying "no thanks" means nothing to them.
                    EDIT:
                    Should AMD cards have been used, users would likely depend on closed drivers, since (to my understanding, maybe I'm mistaken) they are more complete for compute purposes.
                    You may actually mix and match, e.g. I am using Mesa 20.2 (RadeonSI OpenGL, RadV and ACO) + opencl from the PRO driver
                    In arch and derivatives you can install the separate opencl package from AUR: opencl-amd
                    I guess similar packages are available for other distro

I use the opencl pro components for Blender and other applications fine

Comment

Working...
                    X