The Document Foundation Is Looking To Finish ODF 1.3 Support In LibreOffice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Document Foundation Is Looking To Finish ODF 1.3 Support In LibreOffice

Phoronix: The Document Foundation Is Looking To Finish ODF 1.3 Support In LibreOffice

The ODF 1.3 Open Document Format specification was approved by the OASIS Committee at the start of the year and now as we approach the end of the year The Document Foundation is hoping to see ODF 1.3 support completed soon for this leading open-source office suite...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Number 1 question I get is "can I use ODF with MS Office"

Per Microsoft:

Learn about the various file formats that are supported in Microsoft 365 including .docx, .xlsx, .pptx, and OpenDocument format.

OpenDocument Format (ODF) was originally developed to support the features and behavior of OpenOffice-based productivity suites and Open XML was originally developed to support the features and behavior of Microsoft Office.

Microsoft Office now provides support for ODF and gives people using Microsoft Office the chance to save their Office files in ODF. However, because Microsoft Office and OpenOffice features aren’t exactly the same or aren’t implemented the same way, people who use unsupported features and save Office files in ODF might experience changes in how they can work with the file and sometimes see a loss of content.

The Open XML format (.docx/.xlsx/.pptx) is the default format in all supported versions of Microsoft Office and, unless you have a specific reason to use a different format, it's the format we recommend using for your Office files.

To learn more about the Open Document Format (ODF) generally see OASIS Open Document Format for Office Applications.

Comment

How is it that off is an open standard but MS office doesn't support it?

Comment

Documents can also look different on Windows and Linux because Microsoft Office creates documents with the Segoe typeface which is Microsoft's own proprietary typeface, and it is not available on Linux.
        Last edited by uid313; 20 October 2020, 04:40 PM. Reason: Removed incorrect statement, hajj_3 corrected me

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post

Microsoft Office doesn't support the ODF standard, instead it supports their own standard "Office Open XML".
          Microsoft office support ODF v1.2.

Comment

Originally posted by edwaleni View Post
            Number 1 question I get is "can I use ODF with MS Office"

(...) Microsoft Office and OpenOffice features aren’t exactly the same or aren’t implemented the same way, people who use unsupported features and save Office files in ODF might experience changes in how they can work with the file and sometimes see a loss of content.(...)
            As someone who implemented a hobby yet usable library to CRUD .ods files [1] and tested both in LibreOffice and MS Office (2016+) - I wanted to mention that just because ODF is standard and open doesn't mean it can or will be compatible between implementations, because as long as you don't have a rigid and sophisticated conformance test suite that ODF generators have to obey by - the standard is so large, boring and complicated that it gives plenty of room for different interpretations or selective implementation, and little things that I don't even know whether they're bugs or not, for example a simple thing as:

to mark that a cell spans across say 4 columns you should write table:number-columns-spanned="4" and it works fine in LibreOffice, but MS Office (IIRC even version 2019) displays the cell across only one column. To work properly in this case for some reason MS Office needs you to also specify table:number-rows-spanned="x" though this shouldn't be necessary if the cell spans across only one row which is the case in 99% of the cases. Obviously Microsoft could easily fix stuff like this, but I'm not sure it's in Microsoft's interest because it would make ODF more viable.

[1]
            Contribute to f35f22fan/QOds development by creating an account on GitHub.

Comment

Will OpenOffice support ODF 1.3? I know, right?
              When will they mercifully kill it? It's well past time.

I think Oracle did the worst possible (of course), but can't understand why The Apache Foundation continues playing along. The (in)famous rweir is not even working there anymore, so what gives?
              There's something fishy about the whole not letting it go thing. People there got paid to undermine LibreOffice longterm?

For most people "OpenOffice" name is still a thing, it should be passed back to LibreOffice.
              Last edited by sheepdestroyer; 21 October 2020, 02:19 AM.

Comment

To follow on from cl333r, the lack of consistent interpretation of the ODF standards ( ISO/IEC 26300 ) by different applications is a problem: I have relatively simple spreadsheets generated by LibreOffice that don't work in Gnumeric and vice versa which is irritating. I realise this is difficult to achieve, but it also means that I am not surprised if Microsoft's interpretation of the ODF standards differs from LibreOffice's interpretation. It does not necessarily mean that Microsoft are actively maliciously sustaining incompatibilities.
                I do think that it is regrettable that the standards setting/approval committees could be gamed into approving OOXML ( ISO/IEC 29500 ).

Dare I say that we need a meta-standard to describe how the standard should be interpreted/implemented? And, of course, a comprehensive test-suite.

Comment

From the article:

"...The Document Foundation is now soliciting bids from developers / third-party firms to finish up the ODF 1.3 document support in LibreOffice...

How does this work / what's going on here? As a developer, I have to "...submit a bid..." to do work for the ODF? Pay them in order to work for them?
                  Perhaps this is simply a case of a poor choice of words; I certainly hope so. In any event, everyone would like an absolute clarification of this statement...or 'mis-statement'.

Comment

Originally posted by cytomax55 View Post
                    How is it that off is an open standard but MS office doesn't support it?
                    What version of MS Office? 'Cause my MS Office uses Calibri by default and I didn't set that myself - clean install.

Comment

Working...
                    X