Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Samsung 980 PRO PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD Linux Performance

Phoronix: Samsung 980 PRO PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD Linux Performance

The Samsung 980 PRO PCIe 4.0 NVMe solid-state drives are now available from Internet retailers. For those wondering how these SSDs compare with EXT4 under Linux against other PCIe 4.0/3.0 drives, here are a variety of benchmarks.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

What happened? When did the PRO series basically became an EVO?
    ## VGA ##
    AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
    Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

Although I didn't see a price rundown I would imagine the Sabrent is the best bang for the buck by far as well as taking the geometric mean crown. Well done Sabrent!

Comment

How does it manage to be worse at SQL than its own last gen?

Comment

Originally posted by bachchain View Post
          For me this can't be possible. Everything points to 980 pro must be better then 970 evo in every point

Comment

To get the max performance on these drives of "up to" 1 million iops read/write, you need to use a small lba range on the drive to stay within the limits of the intelligent cache.

Comment

Originally posted by onlyLinuxLuvUBack View Post
              To get the max performance on these drives of "up to" 1 million iops read/write, you need to use a small lba range on the drive to stay within the limits of the intelligent cache.
              You don't say you need to introduce short stroking for SSDs? That was a thing for HDDs only, I thought. :-O

Comment

Originally posted by bachchain View Post
                Guessing there are some firmware woes with the 980 PRO under Linux but haven't yet seen anything to confirm that.
                Michael Larabel
                https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post

Guessing there are some firmware woes with the 980 PRO under Linux but haven't yet seen anything to confirm that.
                  That would be the first thing to look at but these tests are more or less consistent with a couple of other benchmarks I have seen under windows. Maybe Samsung is being super conservative coming out of the gate across the board. Or maybe these are just designed for a specific use case.

Comment

It's worth to note that the 980 PRO is TLC instead of 970 PRO's MLC. Not tested here, but it's worth to know when considering upgrading from it.

Comment

Working...
                    X