Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux Support Expectations For The AMD Radeon RX 6000 Series

Phoronix: Linux Support Expectations For The AMD Radeon RX 6000 Series

Lisa Su is about to begin the presentation unveiling the much anticipated Radeon RX 6000 "Big Navi" (RDNA 2) graphics cards. This article will be updated live as the event progresses but first up let's recap the current Linux open-source driver state for these forthcoming graphics cards.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I'm pretty hopeful. All I want is something with 3070 performance for a lower price. Based on rumors, it seems more than likely that AMD will have something better than the 3070, now it's just the price I'm worried about.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
      I'm pretty hopeful. All I want is something with 3070 performance for a lower price. Based on rumors, it seems more than likely that AMD will have something better than the 3070, now it's just the price I'm worried about.
      Livestream 6800 XT on par with 3080 ...price $649
      RX 6800 slightly above RTX 2080 Ti $579
      RX 6900 XT ca 3090 price $999 available Dec 08

Bamm

only 6900 is Dec the others will be 18. Nov.
      Last edited by CochainComplex; 28 October 2020, 04:37 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by CochainComplex View Post

Livestream 6800 on par with 3080
        AMD says. Still waiting for Phoronix to confirm.
        I'm going to buy a Big Navy card anyway but what I'm really waiting for is the next generation of Threadrippers.

Comment

Originally posted by ALRBP View Post

AMD says. Still waiting for Phoronix to confirm.
          I'm going to buy a Big Navy card anyway but what I'm really waiting for is the next generation of Threadrippers.
          This are windows benchmarks for sure. So Linux will be most likely different. But anyway performance and price are good! Considering the AMD drivers on linux...nice
          Last edited by CochainComplex; 28 October 2020, 12:33 PM.

Comment

Few concerns here i have towards benchmarking.

They only benchmarked with their technology but shown nothing against RT or DLSS.

They benchmarked for 5000 Ryzen CPUs, that probably aren't optimized on Nvidia driver side.

So here i expect actually benchmarks in reality to gain few % for Nvidia side, and still DLSS is rather killing feature.

RX6800 is slighty faster then 2080TI, so around same performance as RTX3070.... but 80$ more expensive - that is rather dissappointment.

RX6900XT performance looks fine, but for 1000$ card i would expect to play with raytracing or 8K DLSS which AMD doesn't show, so here I think 3090 might be better choice.

Comment

To the people who are looking for better prices. I see a price war coming late next year with Intel entering the GPU race, there is just a limited amount of people which buy these high-priced cards above 350 US-$/EUR. And Intel needs to take some market share and can afford it - more competition always brings down prices eventually, especially in economically harsh times around the world.

Comment

That's nice but where are the mobile Zen 3 with RDNA 2 chips & DDR5 ?

Comment

Originally posted by piotrj3 View Post
                  So here i expect actually benchmarks in reality to gain few % for Nvidia side, and still DLSS is rather killing feature.
                  To be fair, it's a feature that is only available in some games on Windows. The same can be said for RTX as the number of games that can use it on Linux is almost nil.

In the end, it's all about the raw performance what you want to see on Linux.

Comment

In terms of open source driver progress from the 5700XT launch what is the status of the 6000 series? Is it the same level open source driver support when 5700XT released? It looks based on the article like we are in the same place as October after the 5700XT launch. Which would be good because that means Ubuntu 21.04 should have everything necessary for good 6000 series support.

Comment

Working...
                    X