Linux Mint Now Packaging Their Own Chromium, Developing New IPTV Player

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux Mint Now Packaging Their Own Chromium, Developing New IPTV Player

Phoronix: Linux Mint Now Packaging Their Own Chromium, Developing New IPTV Player

With this month's Ubuntu/Debian-based Linux Mint development news there are two items worth calling attention to...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

So for my understanding It is the vanilla chromium just distributed by them to get always the most recent stable. no further (privacy) modifications?
    Last edited by CochainComplex; 31 October 2020, 04:33 PM.

Comment

No word on contributing their Chromium efforts to Debian...

Comment

I'm guessing it's to get away from the (evil?) thing that is snap.

Comment

I'm surprised it took them so long to roll their own chromium. I've been doing it since ubuntu 19.10 released and they started pushing chromium via snaps. I set up a pipeline that compiles chromium, generates a .deb and this runs weekly so I always have the newest version. Just for fun i use the unstable branch which is on chromium 88 now

You can try it on www.anonvdi.ca, use the ubuntu web and/or media image.

Comment

Originally posted by waitman View Post
            I'm guessing it's to get away from the (evil?) thing that is snap.
            Interessting it seems to be the second (?) ubuntu derivate doing it PopOS now Mint. Its good to see that maintainers sense the issues with snaps.

Comment

Originally posted by Awesomeness View Post
              No word on contributing their Chromium efforts to Debian...
              Yeah, that would really be the best for both sides.

Comment

If anyone wonder their package is built without VAAPI support.
                I just don't get it why Ubutnu/Debian maintainers still ignore it while SUSE and Fedora people had it for a while. With version 86 upstream even whitelisted it so you don't even need special patch. All you need is recent libva (version 2.2.0+ which ships with both Ubuntu 20.04 and Debian 10) and few lines inside "control" and "rules" files inside "debian" folder.
                Last edited by xAlt7x; 01 November 2020, 06:34 AM.

Comment

I ditched Linux Mint when they stopped offering a KDE Plasma version so I don't care what they do, but I'm curios...
                  Why don't they build a version of Ungoogled-Chromium instead of the plain Chromium which is know to still have a lot of spyware from Google ?
                  Don't the Linux Mint developers care about their users' privacy ?

Comment

snap is working really well. netflix working whatsapp, super fast, this effort is useless but ok, their choice

Comment

Working...
                    X