Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Linux Performance

Phoronix: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Linux Performance

Following yesterday's launch-day AMD Ryzen 9 5900X/5950X benchmarks that showed the utter domination of Zen 3 carrying over just fine in the Linux realm, today we are looking at the performance of the Ryzen 5 5600X on Ubuntu against other Intel/AMD processors. The Ryzen 5 5600X is AMD's new $299 USD part that offers six cores / twelve threads and incredible uplift still over Zen 2 / Zen+ processors while outperforming Intel's Comet Lake competition.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Typo:

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
    Among the creator tests are POV-Ray, Yafaray, Blender, Appleeed, Radiance

Comment

Incredible that this 5600X for $299 is beating intel's $529 i9-10900k in so many tests, and even in the geometric mean of all tests! Those whining about the price increase over the Zen2 models simply have no grasp of the IPC uplift that Zen3 delivers. Bravo AMD!

Comment

*popcorn noise*

Comment

Now I'm really exited now to see what they will offer on mobile. The 4800H is already incredibly powerful - but if this uplift applies in similar fashion for the 6800H(?), that should finally justify an upgrade from my i5-6440HQ, assuming it would cut compile times considerably.

Comment

Originally posted by torsionbar28 View Post
            Incredible that this 5600X for $299 is beating intel's $529 i9-10900k in so many tests, and even in the geometric mean of all tests! Those whining about the price increase over the Zen2 models simply have no grasp of the IPC uplift that Zen3 delivers. Bravo AMD!
            Oh my god, you just made a fool of yourself in applauding a 50% price increase for a 22% performance uplift when compared to the 3600X. The margin is even worse when compared to the 3600 which could be brought up to the performance level of the 3600X when both are overclocked for even less money.

Comment

Originally posted by ms178 View Post
              Oh my god, you just made a fool of yourself in applauding a 50% price increase for a 22% performance uplift when compared to the 3600X. The margin is even worse when compared to the 3600 which could be brought up to the performance level of the 3600X when both are overclocked for even less money.
              Yawn. How much does comparable performance cost in current-gen Intel silicon? Oh right, it's a lot more than $299. Thank You AMD for continuing to deliver outstanding value!

Comment

Originally posted by torsionbar28 View Post
                Yawn. How much does comparable performance cost in current-gen Intel silicon? Oh right, it's a lot more than $299. Thank You AMD for continuing to deliver outstanding value!
                Intel is irrelevant at these obscene price levels. But this is not a new insight. For the record, such a comparison between a 10900K and a 5600X tells you nothing about the value of the 5600X, as a comparison between the 5600X with the 3600X tells you a completely different story. But as AMD keeps selling these better value parts, I guess we can still thank AMD for that. Just a reminder in case you missed it: You could have gotten a 1700 for less than 200 EUR 1,5 years after launch, but we are far away from that mark with the 3700X yet.

Comment

Originally posted by ms178 View Post
                  You could compare the 5600X to the more expensive 3800X, which it outperforms in almost every case and only slightly underperforms in the worst case.
                  Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post

You could compare the 5600X to the more expensive 3800X, which it outperforms in almost every case and only slightly underperforms in the worst case.
                    Why should I? The 3800X is just as superfluous as the 3600X, no one should buy these two SKUs, the X latter is not worth the extra price - sorry, I am not a shareholder nor affiliated with AMD to pick the comparisons which suits AMD's marketing narrative the best. And looking at the selling numbers at Mindfactory, the market seems to agree with me.

Last edited by ms178; 06 November 2020, 08:11 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X