Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mesa 20.2.2 Released With A Random Assortment Of Fixes

Phoronix: Mesa 20.2.2 Released With A Random Assortment Of Fixes

For those sticking to stable releases of Mesa3D there is Mesa 20.2.2 now available as the latest point release...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Ubuntu 20.10 ships with Mesa 20.2 and there's something about this mesa release that seeking/pausing/etc is very glitchy with mpv, I used oibaf ppa to upgrade Mesa and the issue is gone.

Using Radeon RX 570.

Comment

For the first time in a very long time, I experienced a hard system lock-up when using Mesa 20.2.1 in the recently released "Superliminal". Moving to the latest git seems to have solved the problem. I haven't yet tested 20.2.2, but also didn't see anything seemingly related in the release notes. I suppose I will ought to give it a go soon.

Comment

Originally posted by cl333r View Post
        Ubuntu 20.10 ships with Mesa 20.2 and there's something about this mesa release that seeking/pausing/etc is very glitchy with mpv, I used oibaf ppa to upgrade Mesa and the issue is gone.

Using Radeon RX 570.
        I've been using mesa git for months on Deepin 20, so also during the Mesa 20.2 phase, and I never noticed that issue. So it must be Ubuntu-related then.

Comment

Hard drive failure?? Ugh. Who is compiling code on a mechanical hard drive in 2020? And if there is a valid reason for it, why isn't he using mdadm to mirror the data? I have plenty of systems with spinning drives still, mainly because it's far more cost effective for anything above 4 TB still. But you better believe every single one of those drives is in an mdadm mirror. I do feel for the guy though, I had a hard drive failure in the late 1990's one time and lost a bunch of important data.

Comment

Same question - if I would be one of the lead developers, I would have RAID of SSDs on some reliable filesystem etc. With as powerful CPU as possible and ECC RAM. I won't be surprised if he chose to suffer from some Libre 10-year-old hardware with "WD Black 250GB year 2007"

Comment

To be fair, Baker only said "harddrive failure", not whether it was an SSD or not, or what was on it. If my personal machine's drive died, it would set me back a couple of days despite having full and up-to-the-hour backups. Spare parts take time to arrive and get installed, and copying data takes some time too.

Comment

Originally posted by bwyan View Post
                For the first time in a very long time, I experienced a hard system lock-up when using Mesa 20.2.1 in the recently released "Superliminal". Moving to the latest git seems to have solved the problem. I haven't yet tested 20.2.2, but also didn't see anything seemingly related in the release notes. I suppose I will ought to give it a go soon.
                Turns out that it was my CPU temperature that crept too high and I was a little too quick to blame it on Mesa. I simply saw the same kind of system lock-up that I had previously experienced with Mesa-bugs in the past...

Comment

Since everyone's so interested, I have an XPS 13 icelake, with a samsung evo pro. I have regular backups of all of the important stuff (ssh keys, gpg keys, source code, etc). I had a hard poweroff required situation, and ended up with corruption in the my full disk encryption. What takes forever to recover is not all of the stuff that's backed up, it's all the stuff you don't think to backup or can't--corporate integrations like vpn and email, all of the downloaded email, program configurations that are not trivial to back up, etc etc.

In the end all I really lost was time though.

Comment

Working...
                  X