Valve Is Working On Another Extension To Help In Direct3D-Over-Vulkan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Valve Is Working On Another Extension To Help In Direct3D-Over-Vulkan

Phoronix: Valve Is Working On Another Extension To Help In Direct3D-Over-Vulkan

Valve's open-source developers responsible for DXVK and VKD3D-Proton are working on a new Vulkan extension to help in their porting/layering effort of Direct3D on top of the Vulkan API...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Valve need to invest allot more time into getting BattlEye/EasyAntiCheat type services working via proton because its becoming a MAJOR road block for allot of would-be Linux gamers/users.

There are experimental wine builds that have got these anti-cheats to work in SOME games, but you almost hear nothing about it and certainly nothing appears to be mainline code wise.

Comment

Originally posted by theriddick View Post
      Valve need to invest allot more time into getting BattlEye/EasyAntiCheat type services working via proton because its becoming a MAJOR road block for allot of would-be Linux gamers/users.

There are experimental wine builds that have got these anti-cheats to work in SOME games, but you almost hear nothing about it and certainly nothing appears to be mainline code wise.
      As far as I am concerned, Valve does need to do anything. The contribution is enough to help Linux users per say (out of Valve's own pocket money). My point being, the less entitled we are as end-users the broader our perspective can become.

Comment

Valve is working collabora to improve anticheat. foundations are coming for kernel 5.11.

Collabora have been doing presentations during the Open Source Summit, with one particular talk from Gabriel Krisman Bertazi on the State of Linux Gaming being quite interesting. Plus Collabora are hiring.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Comment

Originally posted by spirit View Post

Valve is working collabora to improve anticheat. foundations are coming for kernel 5.11.

Collabora have been doing presentations during the Open Source Summit, with one particular talk from Gabriel Krisman Bertazi on the State of Linux Gaming being quite interesting. Plus Collabora are hiring.

https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pa...-Wine-Steam-20
          5.11 is going to be interessting I think they also try to land futex2 with this release.

Comment

I don't understand.. why do they keep those thing secret/private? There's so much secrecy with those extensions development happening behing closed doors. Why aren't them published in a github repo, in form of a PR even since the inception, so that anyone can participate if they want to?

Comment

Originally posted by eydee
              So much for maintenance mode. The whiny guy lied again, how surprising.
              That is purely for D3D12 ( VKD3D-Proton) , not DXVK (D3D11)

Comment

Originally posted by Leopard View Post

That is purely for D3D12 ( VKD3D-Proton) , not DXVK (D3D11)
                Thanks I was wondering about that since the article did not say.

Comment

Originally posted by Sethox View Post

As far as I am concerned, Valve does need to do anything. The contribution is enough to help Linux users per say (out of Valve's own pocket money). My point being, the less entitled we are as end-users the broader our perspective can become.
                  I disagree with that. If we don't act entitled, raise issues, talk about what we want, or keep acting like we're content with the status quo, why should they care about doing more than the bare minimum? I see us staying narrow-minded and with less perspectives if we don't speak up and act entitled. How are they supposed to know we care if we're quite? If you care about something then you're passionate about it, vocal about it, you request changes, want features added, that gun nerfed, that wizard buffed, the stats fixed on that sword, the anti-cheat to play with friends.

Look at Windows; enough people complain and request feature X, they'll eventually get it. On Linux it seems like every time we try to have a discussion about features we'd like to see we get the usual replies of "Be happy you even have it" and "It's open source, do it yourself"; like we're supposed to know 3d modeling, random languages, and the science between flight modeling and atmospheric simulations when all we'd like is to fly F35s through some tornadoes. It's not like every project is like KDE with a Nate Graham willing to help people to get started contributing.

Until we can start going "I want, I want, I want" without the DIY Brigade or the Be Grateful Bunch peeing on everyone's cereal, we'll stay a hobbyist OS and we won't pick up gamers and casuals. People who just want to sit down, use their stuff, and have a good time don't really like hearing "do it yourself" or "be grateful" after a 40 hour work week with a family to take care of. They just want to go "I like that software and I'd like it if it could do this and that" and then get off the forums and play their game or do their taxes or whatever.

Sorry. Didn't mean to TLDR that.

Comment

I don't disagree but these systems are often pretty sensitive. I think Valve just doesn't want to risk being responsible for people getting banned because the DRM or anticheat is considered hacked by the game.

Originally posted by xxmitsu View Post
                    I don't understand.. why do they keep those thing secret/private? There's so much secrecy with those extensions development happening behing closed doors. Why aren't them published in a github repo, in form of a PR even since the inception, so that anyone can participate if they want to?
                    Probably because they're making it for their own needs and they don't need the opinions of the public screwing with their progress.
                    Imagine being an electrician and you go to a customer's house to install a new light fixture, and then the neighbor of the customer just comes in making uninformed suggestions and starts blindly bashing the wall open with a sledgehammer in the hopes that it makes your job faster/easier. The neighbor thinks they're helping you, but not only does he not know exactly what the customer wants/needs, but doesn't know how you intended to go about servicing the customer either.
                    I think we all know what it's like to have someone breathing down your neck trying to tell you how to do your job. It's better to just let Valve do their thing and then open-source it.

Comment

Working...
                    X