Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Intel's Graphics Driver Now Sharing ~60% Codebase Between Windows/Linux, 90~100% The Performance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intel's Graphics Driver Now Sharing ~60% Codebase Between Windows/Linux, 90~100% The Performance

Phoronix: Intel's Graphics Driver Now Sharing ~60% Codebase Between Windows/Linux, 90~100% The Performance

Intel today is announcing their Server GPU for the data center based on their Xe-LP microarchitecture with an initial focus on high-density, low-latency Android cloud gaming and media streaming. For as exciting as the Intel Server GPU is, some exciting Intel Linux graphics driver details were also disclosed.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

This can be nothing but good news. Intel, despite some of their CPU vulnerability issues, has, at least to me, been solid supporters to the open source community. This server GPU provides more competition. Competition may not always be good for a corporate bottom line, but it is great for the consumers. Between this and the IBM/AMD partnership, there may some interesting developments in the GPU arena. I do not know (I have no crystal ball nor am I by any means an expert), but having three companies (Intel, AMD, and nVidia) competing in this market has got to be better than having only two.
    GOD is REAL unless declared as an INTEGER.

Comment

What driver are they talking about. Can i run it on mine Coffee Lake Refresh? Now I have modesetting driver running - is that the one?

Comment

Originally posted by V1tol View Post
        What driver are they talking about. Can i run it on mine Coffee Lake Refresh? Now I have modesetting driver running - is that the one?
        This is a great question. Wondering if the drivers on the latest kernel on my Xeon E-2276M would be using this codebase

Comment

That generic Arial font on the "XG310" logo...

And the H3C logo with the Sharp/NEC/Ricoh font...

Last edited by tildearrow; 11 November 2020, 07:48 PM.

Comment

I look forward to what they can accomplish next year with Xe-HPG. At least Intel appears to be more open about some items of the whishlist of the Linux community, like a GUI. That's the spirit we should see more from them on the CPU side as well (e.g. no excessive product segmentation, more features and a X58-like HEDT platform which could be run with overclockable Xeons; a better boxed cooler on some models would also be great).
            Last edited by ms178; 11 November 2020, 02:33 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by dylanmtaylor View Post

This is a great question. Wondering if the drivers on the latest kernel on my Xeon E-2276M would be using this codebase
              Similar in my case - I would also be interessted.

Dispite of the unethical business practices conducted by intel and the security holes in their cpus, I really like their OpenSource efforts. One should also not underestimate the impact of ClearLinux. It is not widely adopted and has done some steps backwards recently (IMHO) by negelecting their Desktop roadmap, but it has shown to a lot of users and devs how architecture dedicated compilation can speed up the whole system significantly. I hope Intel is keeping up their OpenSource contribution. It would be the wrong field to cut corners.
              Last edited by CochainComplex; 11 November 2020, 01:26 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by f0rmat View Post
                This can be nothing but good news. Intel, despite some of their CPU vulnerability issues, has, at least to me, been solid supporters to the open source community. This server GPU provides more competition. Competition may not always be good for a corporate bottom line, but it is great for the consumers. Between this and the IBM/AMD partnership, there may some interesting developments in the GPU arena. I do not know (I have no crystal ball nor am I by any means an expert), but having three companies (Intel, AMD, and nVidia) competing in this market has got to be better than having only two.
                Do you remember the chipset compitition via*, intel, amd and nvidia? ...the only time were benchmarks of motherboards had significant differences.
                (I know northbridge is now more or less on the CPU but it was fun to compare boards by performance. Nowadays its just about features...or RGB or no RGB)

*MSI K7T266 Pro 2 I loved that mb with the Athlon XP 1700+ ....rock stable and super fast VIA Chipset
                Last edited by CochainComplex; 11 November 2020, 01:32 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by CochainComplex View Post

Similar in my case - I would also be interessted.

Dispite of the unethical business practices conducted by intel and the security holes in their cpus, I really like their OpenSource efforts. One should also not underestimate the impact of ClearLinux. It is not widely adopted and has done some steps backwards recently (IMHO) by negelecting their Desktop roadmap, but it has shown to a lot of users and devs how architecture dedicated compilation can speed up the whole system significantly. I hope Intel is keeping up their OpenSource contribution. It would be the wrong field to cut corners.
                  "architecture dedicated compilation" Is only a small part of what ClearLinux does.... Almost all else of what they actually do is hardcoded hacks and cracks and patches are never made available. I mean there are patches available of course, yes, but those available patches only represent a small proportion of all the actual modifications made to ClearLinux. Duplicating absolutely every modification ClearLinux makes would probably be nearly impossible.

Comment

Originally posted by CochainComplex View Post

Do you remember the chipset compitition via, intel, amd and nvidia? ...the only time were benchmarks of motherboards had significant differences.
                    (I know northbridge is now more or less on the CPU but it was fun to compare boards by performance. Nowadays its just about features...or RGB or no RGB)
                    I can't remember a time when all three could affect each other as they should hopefully do in the next few years. I'm not talking about AMD VS Intel, but literally all three. If Intel actually gets high end GPUs in the market, then all three will be going at it with hopefully all great parts.

Either way, it should be good for the user as the other said.
                    Last edited by ix900; 11 November 2020, 01:36 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X