Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GNOME Work Moving Ahead On Deep Color Support, Triple Buffering

Phoronix: GNOME Work Moving Ahead On Deep Color Support, Triple Buffering

It's been a while since having any major break-through changes to talk about for GNOME contributed by Canonical's prolific developer Daniel Van Vugt, but he's been at the grind making progress on some big ticket items...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Originally posted by 144Hz View Post
    Great stuff by vanvugt as always. It’s probably not ready for upstream review yet.

Same weekly reports also show good work on GNOME by other Canonical employees. Gone are the days of NIH and CLA.
    Something that bugged me for a while was the not matching primary display configuration between Wayland and Xwayland resulting on X apps starting on the wrong screen. A PR for it came a few days ago, of course it has to be reviewed but merged for Gnome 40 should look good.

Comment

Is Deep Color the same as HDR? How is the HDR story on Linux anyway, can I experience HDR content on Linux (via video files, streaming or games) assuming I have a compatible display?

Comment

and looks like wayland only in 2024

Comment

Originally posted by Tori View Post
          Is Deep Color the same as HDR? How is the HDR story on Linux anyway, can I experience HDR content on Linux (via video files, streaming or games) assuming I have a compatible display?
          You can't on X. For Wayland , i don't know.

Comment

Not really, but they're related and one is necessary for the other. Deep Color allows for more than 8-bit per channel color and came with the HDMI 1.3 spec. High end 1080p TVs in the PS3 era had Deep Color. It's basically more HDMI bandwidth and color space. HDR, actual UHD spec HDR, is 10-bit color depth, wide color gamut, with brightness and contrast standards (and more) and came with HDMI 2.1...or one of the 2.0 subsets...

I don't really know the actual specifics and numbers of DC/HDR outside of that basic grasp of what they are, but I know that Deep Color is one of the big milestones on the way to HDR10/UHD/??? they want to call it. Everyone having their own buzzword gets old and confusing.

And the HDR story is basically this article and some older Phoronix articles about what they're working on. I have a 4K HDR TV that I'm using to post from Fedora. Unless things change soon, be prepared to dual-boot with Windows if you want to experience HDR content.
            Last edited by skeevy420; 16 November 2020, 09:40 AM.

Comment

Very advanced. Does it do simple stuff yet? Does it have window buttons without an extension? Can it do tiling without an extension? Has it stopped breaking the important extensions with every point release?

Comment

Originally posted by 144Hz View Post
                Now the Marge Bot merged herself \o/

It’s pretty similar to the freedesktop merge bot. This is very useful because the maintainers can barely keep up with the many many MRs.
                And so it begins

Comment

Originally posted by andyprough View Post
                  Very advanced. Does it do simple stuff yet? Does it have window buttons without an extension? Can it do tiling without an extension? Has it stopped breaking the important extensions with every point release?
                  Do you seriously not understand the difference between a design choice and working on providing new functionality that was missing?! If a product is designed in a way that doesn't suit you, use something else! It will not be fixed to suit you, it is a design choice!
                  So, if you need a tiling window manager with built in window buttons.... find and use a tiling window manager with built in window buttons. How can this be a hard concept?
                  Last edited by tildearrow; 16 November 2020, 12:59 PM.

Comment

I have a HP zr30w monitor from before HDR was a thing. It's a professional grade 10-bit per channel display. The extra 2 bits provide more color accuracy.

I believe you can technically call it HDR 400, the lowest grade. That's because it cannot go extremely dark or extremely bright because the backlight is a single brightness level.

For real HDR the color range is extended into higher brightness ranges and to display it properly requires something like plasma, OLED, microLED, LED backlighting zones or anything that can emit more light than normal.

Anyway, HDR requires more color bits just like Deep Color but the brightness scale is different.

Comment

Working...
                    X