No announcement yet.

Mir 2.2 Released With Display Wall Capabilities, Composite Bypass On GBM-KMS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mir 2.2 Released With Display Wall Capabilities, Composite Bypass On GBM-KMS

Phoronix: Mir 2.2 Released With Display Wall Capabilities, Composite Bypass On GBM-KMS

Mir 2.2 is out this morning as the newest update to this Wayland compositor and display server...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

How is the Mate. Desktop as a Mir Wayland client going? Any new progress to report?

Comment

As normal non-geek desktop users, is there some way we can use Mir?
      Does it support some DEs that we can use in combination with it?
      Given the intricacy of Gnome and Mutter (or KDE and KWin), I suppose that's unfortunately not possible (I really wish we could get rid of Mutter though). What about the rest?

Comment

Originally posted by Mez' View Post
        As normal non-geek desktop users, is there some way we can use Mir?
        Does it support some DEs that we can use in combination with it?
        Given the intricacy of Gnome and Mutter (or KDE and KWin), I suppose that's unfortunately not possible (I really wish we could get rid of Mutter though). What about the rest?
        There's no full desktop environment based on Mir that is ready for non-geeks. MATE and Lomiri desktops based on Mir are both very much "in development".

Mir is used by Ubuntu Touch (which supports quite a number of phones and tablets) or as a "kiosk" shell for IoT devices.

Comment

Originally posted by AlanGriffiths View Post

There's no full desktop environment based on Mir that is ready for non-geeks. MATE and Lomiri desktops based on Mir are both very much "in development".

Mir is used by Ubuntu Touch (which supports quite a number of phones and tablets) or as a "kiosk" shell for IoT devices.
          Thanks for that information. I would still be interested to check on the state of Lomiri + Mir since I was a huge Unity fan.

I was enthusiastic when I read Mir kiosk mode, but it's unfortunate if it's only for IoT devices. I would be very interested in a desktop kiosk mode. A while ago, I was looking for an easy-to-setup kiosk mode to display a restrictive session with just Spotify running full screen for when you have a little party (with corona it's not too urgent) and guests can pick their music themselves without accessing other parts of your computer. And I realized Kiosk mode is quite difficult to achieve without tinkering through hacks. Could be a use case to look into.
          Last edited by Mez'; 19 November 2020, 12:35 PM.

Comment

I was enthusiastic when I read Mir kiosk mode, but it's unfortunate if it's only for IoT devices. I would be very interested in a desktop kiosk mode.
            Mir-kiosk can be used on desktop, but you'd need a bit of work to set the session up as you need it.

A while ago, I was looking for an easy-to-setup kiosk mode to display a restrictive session with just Spotify running full screen for when you have a little party (with corona it's not too urgent) and guests can pick up their music themselves without accessing other parts of your computer. And I realized Kiosk mode is quite difficult to achieve without tinkering through hacks. Could be a use case to look into.
            You would need to define a desktop session that starts mir-kiosk and Spotify.

Comment

Thanks for that information. I would still be interested to check on the state of Lomiri + Mir since I was a huge Unity fan.

I was enthusiastic when I read Mir kiosk mode, but it's unfortunate if it's only for IoT devices. I would be very interested in a desktop kiosk mode. A while ago, I was looking for an easy-to-setup kiosk mode to display a restrictive session with just Spotify running full screen for when you have a little party (with corona it's not too urgent) and guests can pick their music themselves without accessing other parts of your computer. And I realized Kiosk mode is quite difficult to achieve without tinkering through hacks. Could be a use case to look into.
              Die you ever look into Cage, its based on wlroots so should work pretty fine as long as you don’t have a Nvidia gpu

Edit: Sry, was on the phone, makes it pretty hard to post links...
              A Wayland kiosk. Contribute to cage-kiosk/cage development by creating an account on GitHub.

And its project page:
              Last edited by Mani; 19 November 2020, 05:33 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Mani View Post
                Die you ever look into Cage, its based on wlroots so should work pretty fine as long as you don’t have a Nvidia gpu
                Cage looks cool, doesn't support display wall though

Your github link is to the main site link btw.

Comment

Originally posted by polarathene View Post

Your github link is to the main site link btw.
                  Ups, fixed, thanks for pointing out

Comment

I really wish we could get rid of Mutter though
                    The fact that Ubuntu uses Mutter by default and not Mir says enough. Canonical knows how useless Mir is.

Comment

Working...
                    X