Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clang LTO Support For The Linux Kernel Spun Up A Seventh Time

Phoronix: Clang LTO Support For The Linux Kernel Spun Up A Seventh Time

Google engineers have sent out their latest patches for allowing the mainline Linux kernel to be built with LLVM Clang link-time optimizations (LTO) for greater performance and possibly size benefits...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Good news. I wondering how much more work is needed to make LTOing possible with the GCC. I know that there was some patch set floating around but AFAIK it is not usable anymore?

Comment

A Microsoft employee did some kernel LTO+PGO benchmark with GCC 9.2.1. You can find his slides from the last Linux plumbers here

Comment

By the way, if you want to try out the most recent patchset on x86, just visit his github repo and download the sources from the clang-lto branch. It compiled fine for me, just be sure to not have the "Trim unused/obsolete symbols" option enabled as it would blow up with a lot of modprobe issues then.

Comment

Originally posted by Ub42 View Post
          A Microsoft employee did some kernel LTO+PGO benchmark with GCC 9.2.1. You can find his slides from the last Linux plumbers here
          Thx! I remember but I thought he did it with Clang.

Comment

"Google notes they have used a Clang LTO+CFI build for their Linux kernel on "millions of Pixel devices" with Android since 2018."

It doesn't matter how many millions or billions, anything but -O2 will always be unstable for mainline kernel developers.
            ## VGA ##
            AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
            Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

Thank you but I'll stick with GCC and -O2.

Comment

Just say no to GCC.

Comment

Originally posted by r08z View Post
                  Thank you but I'll stick with GCC and -O2.
                  Any actual reason why?

Comment

Working...
                  X