No announcement yet.

Linux Sees A Slew Of Point Releases Due To That Nasty IBM POWER9 Vulnerability

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux Sees A Slew Of Point Releases Due To That Nasty IBM POWER9 Vulnerability

Phoronix: Linux Sees A Slew Of Point Releases Due To That Nasty IBM POWER9 Vulnerability

Greg Kroah-Hartman has issued new point releases for all of the Linux kernel series he is still maintaining as a result of that IBM POWER9 processor vulnerability plus other random fixes that have accumulated...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

So it is not just Intel ...

Once the researchers turn their attention to AMD, we might see more coming ...

Comment

Originally posted by Raka555 View Post

It's guaranteed that Intel has bunch of engineers doing nothing but dissecting AMD cpu's, including looking for potential vulnerabilities in same. Founding something would take off heat from Intel itself and benefit it financially.

Comment

Since 5.9.9 have I been noticing some serious freezes/lockups in relation with networking issues, which made me go back to 5.9.8.

Is anyone else seeing this?

Comment

Of course there are a slew of point releases. The one thing our kernel devs have proven very adept at is slowing down our CPUs anytime a new hypothetical vulnerability gets a press release.

Remind me, and we are a good two years into all this stuff - is there yet a single report of a single exploit in the wild for any of these speculative side channel attacks?

Comment

Intel needs no help financially. I don't think you understand the sheer volume of chips Intel puts out. They are selling every good chip they produce and their capacity is an order of magnitude more than AMD. If anything these annoying security gaps / oversights will make them more money as more chips are sold to either replace or compensate for the performance regressions.

AMD remains hampered by relying on 3rd party fans after the failure of Global Foundries. There are only 3 companies with interest in leading edge foundry operations and Intel is one of them. I'm not truly sure Samsung is really trying to keep up with the bleeding edge anymore. So really, TSMC and Intel are the only top tier fabs and only TSMC sells to outsiders. The huge drag on top tier fab capacity remains ASML and their EUV machines. Until fab spacecexoabds dramatically AMD cannot really regain much market from Intel.

Comment

Originally posted by sdack View Post
              Since 5.9.9 have I been noticing some serious freezes/lockups in relation with networking issues, which made me go back to 5.9.8.

Is anyone else seeing this?
              Something like it, however, it's been going on since 5.8 and I think it's got something to do with video and streaming. I can sit all night doing a blog etc without problem. When I open a webpage which contains video or other animations, bang_freeze. Might be a combo of browser, Oibaf's Mesa etc... Not sure though

Cheers

Edit : forgot to tell I'm on XanMod's kernel
              Last edited by DL9220; 22 November 2020, 09:52 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by DL9220 View Post
                Edit : forgot to tell I'm on XanMod's kernel
                I'm talking about the vanilla stable kernel as found at the kernel archives and since 5.9.9. No additional patches applied. 5.9.9 has received a rather large amount of patches for a stable kernel and I cannot reproduce the issue with 5.9.8 or any of the previous 5.9.x kernels, but only with 5.9.9 and now 5.9.10.

Comment

Originally posted by aht0 View Post

It's guaranteed that Intel has bunch of engineers doing nothing but dissecting AMD cpu's, including looking for potential vulnerabilities in same. Founding something would take off heat from Intel itself and benefit it financially.
                  I don't think so, that would be very expensive for Intel. And even then, it would make more sense to let them look for flaws in their own CPUs, and then quietly release fixes.

Comment

Originally posted by Raka555 View Post

I keep saying the same, but diehard AMD fans keep telling me AMD is safe...

Comment

Working...
                    X