Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MPV Player 0.33 Brings Nearly A Year's Worth Of Improvements

Phoronix: MPV Player 0.33 Brings Nearly A Year's Worth Of Improvements

MPV as the open-source, cross-platform media player based long ago off the MPlayer/MPlayer2 code-base is out with a new feature release ahead of the holiday season...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I used to use VLC for everything but find myself preferring MPV more and more simply because it's faster to start and provide a gamma shortcut key which allows me to quickly adjust dark videos. ... And it plays just about anything as well

http://www.dirtcellar.net

Comment

Originally posted by waxhead View Post
      I used to use VLC for everything but find myself preferring MPV more and more simply because it's faster to start and provide a gamma shortcut key which allows me to quickly adjust dark videos. ... And it plays just about anything as well
      mpv > VLC in every way possible

Despite its keyboard-oriented interface, mpv is MUCH faster and has broad format support.
      VLC could take centuries to seek, while mpv does so instantly.
      It also plays audio files correcly, without changing the audio pitch at random like a bad record (it's been ages and VideoLAN doesn't know what to do about this).

I haven't used VLC in years...

Comment

I would use MPV more if only it supported Blu-ray and DVD menus. Playing a Blu-ray without going through the menu ranges from difficult to almost impossible and you can often end up with the wrong language settings, e.g. no forced subtitles, wrong languages appearing on signs and things.

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post

Despite its keyboard-oriented interface, mpv is MUCH faster and has broad format support.
          It also plays audio files correcly, without changing the audio pitch at random like a bad record (it's been ages and VideoLAN doesn't know what to do about this).

Mostly yes, recently I wanted to switch to VLC (because it has a playlist I can add files to) but adjusting the brightness doesn't work - just turns the whole video window black, at least with va-api on my Radeon RX 570. MPV with the same setup works fine.

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post

To put it nicely, VLC is more geared towards less skilled users.

Comment

Originally posted by cl333r View Post

Mostly yes, recently I wanted to switch to VLC (because it has a playlist I can add files to) but adjusting the brightness doesn't work - just turns the whole video window black, at least with va-api on my Radeon RX 570. MPV with the same setup works fine.
              Mpv's only somewhat weak point is GUI stuff like playlist/library management, but perhaps something like this could work for you?

Comment

I like smplayer with mpv.

Comment

Every time I try MPV it leaves a lot to be desired over VLC. Much prefer the VLC UI.

Comment

MPV is really great, but I want a little more GUI so I use Celluloid. But there are things VLC is better at, so I always have that installed as well.

Comment

Working...
                    X