Fedora 34 Might Try To Use PipeWire By Default To Replace PulseAudio/JACK

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fedora 34 Might Try To Use PipeWire By Default To Replace PulseAudio/JACK

Phoronix: Fedora 34 Might Try To Use PipeWire By Default To Replace PulseAudio/JACK

Red Hat for several years now has been working on PipeWire to overhaul audio/video stream management on Linux while being able to fill the duties currently managed by the likes of PulseAudio and JACK and being engineered with Wayland and Flatpak security in mind among other modern Linux technologies. With Fedora 34 next spring they may try to ship PipeWire by default in place of JACK, PulseAudio, and even legacy ALSA...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

This is their next biggest thing after Wayland, systemd and flatpak, good luck!

Comment

Oh no. Oh no!!! Not again!!!

I'm having ptsd flashbacks from the past, I need to go and vomit a bit.

Comment

I really liked how well PulseAudio Streaming worked to AirPlay (and compatible) devices, I guess we will lose that with PipeWire :\

Comment

I like this! IIRC, PipeWire is in charge of asking the user for permission to record media, which improves the experience a lot, in my opinion.

Comment

Is PipeWire actually ready to supplant PulseAudio already?

Comment

Originally posted by benpicco View Post
              I really liked how well PulseAudio Streaming worked to AirPlay (and compatible) devices, I guess we will lose that with PipeWire :\
              Well, that is a valid concern I guess. If you have the possibility, you should test it as early as possible and file relevant bug reports.

Comment

Is it possible to run PipeWire on macOS, Windows or *BSD?

Comment

Originally posted by geearf View Post
                  Is PipeWire actually ready to supplant PulseAudio already?
                  And what does it bring for end users?

PulseAudio has been working very well for years, and even seamlessly for me on an AV receiver handling audio and passing video through.

I suppose it's not just something that will be plugged over Pulseaudio (while still using it) without added value.

Hence, I'm wondering... For musicians, audiophiles, home theatre fans, gamers, etc... On a day to day basis, what does it bring over Pulseaudio? How is it going to improve everyone's experience (genuine question) and why should we be excited about it?

Oh, and what will it do on the video front?
                  Last edited by Mez'; 23 November 2020, 05:33 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by cl333r View Post
                    This is their next biggest thing after Wayland, systemd and flatpak, good luck!
                    "next big thing" of functionally equivalent implementation with no user visible change? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4jxAsUR0Gss

Comment

Working...
                    X