Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vulkan 1.2.162 Released With Ray-Tracing Support Promoted

Phoronix: Vulkan 1.2.162 Released With Ray-Tracing Support Promoted

Earlier this year Vulkan ray-tracing arrived in provisional form while with today's Vulkan 1.2.162 specification update this functionality has been promoted to stable and ready for broad industry support...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Michael not directly related with this news, but related with vulkan!

The latest War thunder update gave linux and mac version a vulkan render (and Metal, maybe via MoltenVK, don't have a mac to check) and performance is now similar to the windows one. From what i understand, the old opengl 3.2 engine (so it mac and linux shared this engine and mac max opengl is 3.2) was finally drop and now vulkan and metal are required.

A "quick" test for war thunder in windows and linux (and mac if possible) in a nvidia,amd and intel card would be great!

i recommend the "main menu > Battles > Benchmark > Tank Battle" or even the CPU version, as vulkan can maybe gain more from using less cpu

thanks!

Comment

I would like to see some free, open source games support this. Unfortunately it doesn't seem like there are many open source games out there, especially with modern technology.

Comment

Multi-GPU PCIE pooling. That was the bright light in the DX/OpenGL darkness when Vulkan was drafted, but I haven't heard fuck all about it in years.

If any of you vitamin D deficents have an idea as to what is happening on thar front, I'd much appreciste it.

Comment

Originally posted by ThoreauHD View Post
          Multi-GPU PCIE pooling. That was the bright light in the DX/OpenGL darkness when Vulkan was drafted, but I haven't heard fuck all about it in years.

If any of you vitamin D deficents have an idea as to what is happening on thar front, I'd much appreciste it.
          I am not particulary expierienced on this subject, but multigpu in case of DX11 or older and OpenGL was simply resolved by driver. In case of Vulkan and DX12, there is no way that driver automaticly adapts something to SLI, and burder to make something work on multigpu lies on programmer himself. From one side it is possible to make diffrent vendor GPUs to work together on one game, practicly no one implements those (I think only Battlefield 1 implemeted something of this sort on DX12) so probably it is dead unless you explicitly write program for that. That is also why Nvidia and AMD so much moves away from SLI/Crossfire.

Comment

It feels like Vulkan is generally playing catch-up to DX12 in terms of features.

Could result in devs who are doing cutting edge stuff using DX12, and then they stick with it of course although Vulkan may catch up later.

Could be wrong.
            Last edited by humbug; 23 November 2020, 10:55 AM.

Comment

Ping me when AMD supports this in their open source driver.

Comment

It works. Just there are almost no applications that use it.

Comment

I know what Multi-GPU means, but not PCIE pooling. Multi-GPU is a core feature of Vulkan, you don't have to "enable" it or seek support from the driver vendor. It's up to the application writers to decide whether they want multi-gpu to work with their applications, usually they don't enable it because it's extra work for the devs with little return on investment (that is, multi-GPU is overrated, again unless you have a special case).

Comment

I know it's not hip and trendy but is there any chance that OpenGL will get an equivalent extension too at some point?

Comment

Working...
                    X