Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Raspberry Pi V3DV Is Officially Vulkan Conformant, Lavapipe Also Nearing 1.0 Conformance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Raspberry Pi V3DV Is Officially Vulkan Conformant, Lavapipe Also Nearing 1.0 Conformance

Phoronix: Raspberry Pi V3DV Is Officially Vulkan Conformant, Lavapipe Also Nearing 1.0 Conformance

There are two interesting bits of news today pertaining to open-source Vulkan drivers being officially conformant with the Vulkan 1.0 specification in passing the necessary Vulkan CTS tests...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Lavapipe is not on Mesamatrix.
    But maybe it is not part of Mesa.

Show Mesa progress for the OpenGL implementation into an easy to read HTML page.

Comment

Could this driver solve the RPi4 terrible tearing issues?

Comment

Originally posted by JackLilhammers View Post
        There is nothing in this world that can properly fix Xorgs tearing issue, it simply has no idea when to draw a frame. You can either try if the driver supports some type of in driver buffering or use a wayland desktop.

Comment

fixed in 5.9 kernel with proper kms driver
          Just disable fkms and enable kms

Comment

Originally posted by miskol View Post

fixed in 5.9 kernel with proper kms driver
            Just disable fkms and enable kms
            Thank you. Did you try any particular distro with RPi4?
            I mean, it has the VideoCore VI and IIRC it need a different driver

Comment

Originally posted by Alexmitter View Post

There is nothing in this world that can properly fix Xorgs tearing issue, it simply has no idea when to draw a frame. You can either try if the driver supports some type of in driver buffering or use a wayland desktop.
              I'm sorry I didn't mean to trigger your fanboyism.
              It's a well known driver issue. It has nothing to do with X and you'd have tearing even with Wayland

Comment

Thank you. Did you try any particular distro with RPi4?
                I mean, it has the VideoCore VI and IIRC it need a different driver
                you can use
                sudo BRANCH=next rpi-update
                if you are in raspberry pi OS
                or raspberry pi OS 64bit

Comment

Looking forward to Godot running on the Pi 4 with its Vulkan renderer.

Does anybody have any experience with Godot on the Pi? Some unpretentious 3D scenes can be useful for schools and cheap DIY simulation kiosks, and Godot is a perfect fit for that. It's obviously capable of much more, but the point is that everyone can tinker with its excellent graphical editor, making it ideal for educational purposes as well.

Comment

Originally posted by chocolate View Post
                    Looking forward to Godot running on the Pi 4 with its Vulkan renderer.

Does anybody have any experience with Godot on the Pi? Some unpretentious 3D scenes can be useful for schools and cheap DIY simulation kiosks, and Godot is a perfect fit for that. It's obviously capable of much more, but the point is that everyone can tinker with its excellent graphical editor, making it ideal for educational purposes as well.
                    The Raspberry Pi 4 can run the Godot editor, but it's not exactly a pleasant experience from what I heard. I would only use it for 2D game development on a low-power device.

You should be able to follow the usual compiling instructions for the 3.2 branch, but you may have to disable WebM support by passing module_webm_enabled=no on the SCons command line. (The master branch's Vulkan renderer is only being tested on desktop platforms right now, and won't work on mobile/embedded devices.)
                    Last edited by Calinou; 24 November 2020, 12:37 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X