Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

LibreOffice 7.1 Beta Released With Faster Spell Checking, Speedier Find And Replace

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LibreOffice 7.1 Beta Released With Faster Spell Checking, Speedier Find And Replace

Phoronix: LibreOffice 7.1 Beta Released With Faster Spell Checking, Speedier Find And Replace

LibreOffice 7.1 was branched this weekend that also marked the hard feature freeze for this next half-year update to this open-source office suite. LibreOffice 7.1 Beta has now shipped ahead of next month's release candidate and the additional test releases in January before going gold in early February...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

LibreOffice Bingo Card:

*Ugly icons
    *No ribbon
    *Ribbon sucks!!1!
    *DOCX sucks
    *MS Office is proprietary crap
    *Calc misses a lot of features

Comment

^ came straight from bingo games.

Comment

I sometimes work with "compressed pdfs" (produced by a setting on the konica minolta scanner) where I use libreoffice to add page numbers and bookmarks to an existing created pdf. However the resulting exported file is either huge (by going 100% on something that had already been compressed) or the quality terrible (75% quality on an already compressed file), with a file size still larger than the original.

Do any of you have any workarounds for this. I think I can make a script to automatically number the pages, but the image quality is something I havent figured out yet.

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post
          LibreOffice Bingo Card:

*Ugly icons
          *No ribbon
          *Ribbon sucks!!1!
          *DOCX sucks
          LibreOffice is free for the past like 15 years and by now if Microsoft's Office still makes tens of billions of $ per year it means MS Office is much better, that's just reality.

I'm not saying LibreOffice isn't getting better. But better doesn't necessarily mean good enough.

Comment

Originally posted by You- View Post
            (...)but the image quality is something I havent figured out yet.
            Just an idea, don't know if it works: these are .zip files with a different extension, unzip, find the images, re-compress them to the same or a new format (that LibreOffice supports, if it supports WebP that would be great) and in the case of the latter also replace the older image name with the new one (e.g. image.png => image.webp) in context.xml and possibly other files.

Comment

LibreOffice Bingo Card:

*Ribbon sucks!!1!
              The ribbon sucks major balls in both LO and MS Office after 2007. The only implementation of Ribbon I actually liked was the one that came with Office 2007.

Still, I will take a shitty ribbon over no ribbon.

Comment

vim is faster

Comment

LibreOffice doesn't suck, controversial I know.

Comment

LibreOffice Bingo Card:
                    *Ugly icons
                    *No ribbon
                    *Ribbon sucks!!1!
                    *DOCX sucks
                    Libreoffice icons have been refreshed quite a few times. Still some people manage to hate them. Yes the last icon theme change was Libreoffice 7.0 but since year 2010 icon them has been changed 3 times. Icons is a hard thing to make the everyone likes.

Ribbon what is Ribbon more than "Ribbon sucks/no ribbon". Libreoffice Contextual, Tabbed and Grouped options align to 3 different MS Office generations of Ribbon. The big thing with the Libreoffice developers and people asking for Ribbon the the result was very interesting. When you asked more questions the people asking for Ribbon were in fact asking for 3-4 different things. The answer is what is Ribbon turns out to be a highly badly defined item that cannot be used as a base of design for a UI because it does not define enough so different people have different interpretations of what Ribbon means.

Yes there is a possibility that LibreOffice will need to implement a forth yet to make all those asking for a Ribbon interface happy.

Really both of the entries for ribbon need to go away. If libreoffice developers though Ribbon idea totally sucks why have they implemented it 3 times. Its easy to miss that Libreoffice has Ribbon x3 implemented all ready no Ribbon is also false.

DOCX/OOXML sucks even with MS Office. Turns out Libreoffice opens some DOCX that current MS Office will totally refuse to and the worse bit is that its the current MS Office that saved it. DOCX/OOXML is really that dog that likes eating everyone home but it really should not be when it meant to be a ISO standard.

Excel is also missing a lot of features vs Calc.

Most of that bingo card fails closer inspection.

Comment

Working...
                    X