No announcement yet.

Godot Game Engine Has Been Backing "Betsy" As A GPU-Based Texture Compressor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Godot Game Engine Has Been Backing "Betsy" As A GPU-Based Texture Compressor

Phoronix: Godot Game Engine Has Been Backing "Betsy" As A GPU-Based Texture Compressor

The Godot Game Engine has been funding work on a GPU-based texture compressor to deal with the issue that importing textures to this leading open-source game engine can often be painfully slow...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

This is great news..

Goooo.. dot.

Comment

can we have some Godot Game Engine based game benchmarks ?

i never see any Godot game in the Phoronix bencmarks.

would be nice to make a profile to benchmark these games.
      Phantom circuit Sequence Reducer Dyslexia

Comment

I wish there was a free, open source game for Linux made with Godot that we could play with.

Comment

Originally posted by Qaridarium View Post
          can we have some Godot Game Engine based game benchmarks ?

i never see any Godot game in the Phoronix bencmarks.

would be nice to make a profile to benchmark these games.
          No Godot game benchmarks I am aware of....
          Michael Larabel
          https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

From one side good changes are comming for better.

Still not supporting ASTC in 2020 is .... a bit dissappointment, especially considering article says itself you have to support pretty much all compression methods.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post

No Godot game benchmarks I am aware of....
              well thats something i am willingly to send you paypal money if there is a "Godot game benchmark" in PTS...
              so maybe we can find a game or whatever you can benchmark ?
              Phantom circuit Sequence Reducer Dyslexia

Comment

Originally posted by Qaridarium View Post

well thats something i am willingly to send you paypal money if there is a "Godot game benchmark" in PTS...
                so maybe we can find a game or whatever you can benchmark ?
                People who know what they are doing could probably make a Phoronix game with tests like: How many simultaneous nqueens can be ran and drawn at once; How many nqueens with different texture or shader variations can be drawn from one single nqueen?; following a path through a forest that gets more and more lush and at different graphics levels to show how trees, grass, leaves, and flowers effect GPU performance; something involving a car because a lot of benchmarks have a camera spinning around a car to show off shiny & reflections; a renderer that just draws fluffy kittens running around for hair stress tests.

But a specifically made Phoronix Benchmarking Game. Anyone could run it to replicate results by loading a custom config or selecting the same default Michael used and it'd be a lot easier than scripts and terminals in regards to the average person. I always have some variation of that thought whenever we have a Godot article, I just don't have the time or abilities to do it so I haven't ever mentioned it. I've always thought that'd be a decent place to start learning Godot since a person could use a lot of open source code and hack stuff together while they're figuring it out...but heck, I can't even get myself to open up GIMP and make some Phoronix article thumbnails because, like, the other day he used a snippet of kernel source code for a friggin GIMP thumbnail and it irked me enough that I'm talking about it a few days later at random...

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
                  I wish there was a free, open source game for Linux made with Godot that we could play with.
                  What's stopping you from doing this yourself?

There are an insane amount of community examples, some require tweaks but most just work. It will take some time to learn how the engine itself works, but there's no way that you're going to avoid it if you actually want to make something useful in any 3D engine.

I messed around with the GDScript and reviewed some of the highlevel netcode. The docs is very useful, but some of the middleware has lot of room for improvement. The advantages are that it's very easy and quick to get going, Godot did a really good job at keeping it that way. Exporting games was also effortless. I did not expect it to be that easy.

Comment

Godot has a third person shooter demo:

For benchmark purposes the player script could be modified to just run in circles or something:

Comment

Working...
                    X