Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Unigine 2.13 Continues Enhancing Their OpenGL Engine While Still Porting To Vulkan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unigine 2.13 Continues Enhancing Their OpenGL Engine While Still Porting To Vulkan

Phoronix: Unigine 2.13 Continues Enhancing Their OpenGL Engine While Still Porting To Vulkan

Unigine 2 remains one of the most visually stunning game and simulation engines out there. That's even with still using OpenGL (or Direct3D 11 also on Windows) while their Vulkan renderer remains in the works. Unigine 2.13 is out this week as their latest iteration of this visually incredible engine with first-rate Linux support...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

How many games are actually written in Unigine?

Comment

Originally posted by dylanmtaylor View Post
      No idea, but I still remember years ago when I bought Oil Rush.
      Very nice game with very nice graphics!
      IMO, they should start developing their own games again.

Comment

Originally posted by dylanmtaylor View Post
        Very few. Not worthy for mentioning imo.

Real-time 3D engine / VR platform for Simulation & Training, 3D Digital Twins, CAD, BIM, GIS. 3D graphics and physics library for ะก++ and C# developers.

Comment

TL;DR I've been a Unigine fan and critic over the years. SRAA looking good.

I bought Oil Rush directly and through steam also gifted it to many of my friends. At the same time I have been very critical at Unigine for announcing Vulkan support and then just not giving any updates even years after it was promised. I would much rather have something that is implemented properly than a hacked/rushed poor implementation, but just keeping quiet after announcing something isn't very nice. Still, it's still amazing to see what this engine is doing in terms of realism and still supporting Linux is awesome! I don't know how many people care, but SRAA examples looks really good.

Are there any other games (besides Dual Universe) or benchmarks that will be updated to use these new features? I would like to buy something without recurring cost for testing. Anyway keep it up and please don't ignore your fans.

Comment

Amazing work. It is a shame that not many games use this engine. It works really well on Linux, and is very capable and performant. I did play Oil Rush and Cradle, and I didn't have any issues. Superb performance for what you get visually.

But Unreal Engine is just so popular, with a free access to source code, advanced editor, and basically free if you use it for small titles. Similar with Unity. It is really hard to compete and find a good niche for an engine like Unigine. Big studios will either use Unreal Engine, Crytek, id, or develop own engine. Small ones will either stick to Unity, Godot, or Unreal Engine, or again custom engine.

With Unigine Community and Community Pro version, I think Unigine do have a chance of surviving and expanding.

Also Heaven, Valley and Superposition benchmarks are super popular. Heaven is still heavily used to benchmark tessellation performance. Unfortunately the Professional version, which has a lot of extra features that I would love to use, is extremely expensive. 1000$ for Superposition, and 500$ for each of the other benchmarks. It would be nice if they introduced an extra tier between Advanced and Professional. Something for 100$ for each (or 400$ for all, including future ones), that allows access to all extra technical details (like debug modes, debug symbols, per-frame timing and analysis), but without commercial use license or quick technical support. It is just a convenience. I can access a lot of this information using things like mangohud or custom wrapper anyway, and I am not going to pay 1000$ just for that, ...
            Most Mesa developers will not pay for that either.
            Last edited by baryluk; 26 November 2020, 03:08 PM.

Comment

From what I have gathered, the main thing holding Unigine back as a game engine is the lack of high quality and convenient development tools, compared to the tools that come with Unity and Unreal Engine. Since Unigine's main source of income comes from sales to industrial customers and government agencies, they don't seem to have the development of game-specific development tools as their highest priority.

A shame, really, since more competition is always good for both innovation and price. Their own product would also benefit from it, since games are an excellent demanding testbed and showcase for improving a realistic graphics and physics engine, also for non-game applications.

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post

IMO, they should start developing their own games again.
                Yeah, after I've seen the old Valley benchmark, I was like, these guys should make their own Skyrim like RPG!
                I don't know why Bethesda is the only one making those types of first person fantasy RPGs anymore.. is sad. (there has been failed attempts by others however!)

Comment

Working...
                X