Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Following FUSE & CUSE, Now There Is "MUSE" For MTD In Userspace

Phoronix: Following FUSE & CUSE, Now There Is "MUSE" For MTD In Userspace

FUSE is well known to longtime Linux users for allowing file-systems to be implemented in user-space for where a Linux kernel port isn't feasible for portability or licensing restrictions, among other factors. There is also CUSE for character devices in user-space. Now being based on FUSE, there is "MUSE" being worked on for MTD in user-space...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

The opportunity for "ReFUSE" and "RUSE" has yet to be explored.

Comment

I don't know what kind of hardware or flash devices this could be used with.

Is this USB sticks? Is it SATA SSD? Is it NVM Express SSD? Is it EEPROM? Is it some kind of Fibre Channel or PCI Express SSD? Or some proprietary NVLink or HyperTransport SSD?

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post

Is this USB sticks? Is it SATA SSD? Is it NVM Express SSD? Is it EEPROM? Is it some kind of Fibre Channel or PCI Express SSD? Or some proprietary NVLink or HyperTransport SSD?
        Connected phones, book readers, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post

Most of listed hardware is a no. The text tells you the core usage case.

That way advanced simulators for many type of flashes can be implemented in userspace.

This is to allow you to turn like a section of your ram emulator.

The most common type is a MTD these devices the controller between you and the eeprom is insanely dumb. No such thing as wear leveling or masking over the flash block sizes..... MTD all the features to extend the flash storage life span falls back on the file system driver. So of course you wish to run simulations of this using ram instead of real flash to detect screwups this is where emulation of MTD come in. Screw ups with a MTD could like see a block of the eeprom die in a critical place making the complete thing useless because you were writing there way too often inside the warranty period..

MTD the type is straight up flash connected to the cpu you do find as some systems solution to store the boot firmware but is rare. You are more likely to find SPI Flash. Yes SPI Flash are the common type of MTD that has insanely dumb controller

PCI Express SSD there are some insanely rare ones of these that are MTD I have only known them used with high speed share trading where they are optimising the everything to reduce latency. You would be more likely to win the loto 10 times while never buying a ticket(being the person to find the ticket and no one claim it) than find a PCI Express SSD MTD by chance and even finding one knowing were you have to look is still hard.

The most common MTD is your SPI Flash stuff.

Originally posted by blacknova View Post
          Connected phones, book readers, etc.
          Not for connected phones, book readers as such this is kind of evil you find inside particular phones and book readers. The reality is once you are going over cable as MTP, PTP, or USB Mass Storage with a MTD there will be the wear leveling software and so on in the middle this is why this MTD driver would be useless.

Comment

Good to have FUSE, CUSE and MUSE, but I am still waiting for ZUSE for support of relay-based computations in user space.

Comment

What about SuSE?
              you could make it an open driver and call it opensuse

Comment

MUSE...

Linux is adopted by alternative rock bands.

Veganism, Linux...

I was expecting it.

Comment

In 20 years, Linux will be a microkernel jk

Comment

Originally posted by baryluk View Post
                    In 20 years, Linux will be a microkernel jk
                    I know you're kidding, but I wouldn't put it past someone to try based on FUSE/CUSE architecture.

Unless something changed recently (or I missed some tuneable), my experience with FUSE performance was atrocious.

Comment

Working...
                    X