Qt 6.1, Qt 6.2 Expected To Come Sooner With Tightened Release Cycles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Qt 6.1, Qt 6.2 Expected To Come Sooner With Tightened Release Cycles

Phoronix: Qt 6.1, Qt 6.2 Expected To Come Sooner With Tightened Release Cycles

Qt 6.0 is releasing in December and The Qt Company is already drafting plans for the release cycles of Qt 6.1 and Qt 6.2 LTS next year...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Ok, so 6.2 is when things should start winding down. Winding down for Qt and ramping up for anyone relying on Qt, that is.
    I'd love to hear some developer feedback about Qt6.

Comment

Well.

Comment

Originally posted by Azrael5 View Post
        Well.
        Is Timmy trapped?

But seriously, I hope this means that Qt and Ubuntu releases start to sync up better; with the .04s using the September Qt release and the .10s using the April Qt release. Not that I use Ubuntu, but the most used distribution (according to most numbers) having Qt versions that are closer to upstream is better for the ecosystem as a whole. It looks like it'll sync up with SUSE's release cycle better, too.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

Is Timmy trapped?

But seriously, I hope this means that Qt and Ubuntu releases start to sync up better; with the .04s using the September Qt release and the .10s using the April Qt release. Not that I use Ubuntu, but the most used distribution (according to most numbers) having Qt versions that are closer to upstream is better for the ecosystem as a whole. It looks like it'll sync up with SUSE's release cycle better, too.
          Not going to happen. Qt versions in Ubuntu are ancient, this has nothing to do with Qt's release cycle. I think it's just the way they get Qt from Debian which releases once in a blue moon.

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post

Not going to happen. Qt versions in Ubuntu are ancient, this has nothing to do with Qt's release cycle. I think it's just the way they get Qt from Debian which releases once in a blue moon.
            GTK and GNOME used to be like that and now Ubuntu and Debian work on those releases together. No reason they can't do the same with Qt (and KDE).

Comment

Debian unstable is not that far behind. Only Debian Stable and Ubuntu is.

Comment

Ok, so 6.2 is when things should start winding down.
                By 6.2 they'll start making plans about Qt 7.0

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
                  GTK and GNOME used to be like that and now Ubuntu and Debian work on those releases together. No reason they can't do the same with Qt (and KDE).
                  No reason other than Ubuntu actively using GTK and Gnome, whereas it traditionally offers one of the worst KDE experiences among Linux distros.

Originally posted by cl333r View Post
                  By 6.2 they'll start making plans about Qt 7.0
                  It doesn't usually happen that fast, but I wouldn't worry much if they did.

Comment

> By 6.2 they'll start making plans about Qt 7.0

It's 8 years from Qt 5 to Qt 6. Eight years. Seven years and a half from Qt 4 to Qt 5.

Comment

Working...
                    X