Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vulkan Improvements & Fixes Land In FFmpeg

Phoronix: Vulkan Improvements & Fixes Land In FFmpeg

Over the past year we have seen various Vulkan features landing in the FFmpeg repository and this past week brought more fixes and improvements around using the Vulkan API for accelerated filters and more...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

> Libplacebo and the recent FFmpeg Vulkan work were both led by Niklas Haas.

The FFmpeg changes were actually done by long-time FFmpeg contributor Lynne (@cyanreg). libplacebo may have motivated a lot of it + uncovered the bugs that existed, but let's not misattribute work.

> This library for GPU-accelerated video/image rendering supports making use of OpenGL, Direct3D, and Vulkan.

Another correction: Direct3D support is not implemented as of time of writing. (Code exists in mpv's ra_d3d11, but it hasn't been ported)

Comment

There are a number of AV1 related improvements coming to FFMpeg but I think the one I am most interested in is "AV1 encoding support SVT-AV1". The current state of AV1 encoding is rough to say the least.

Comment

Wow, have no idea how this will affect things. Seriously. Like at this point when I choose vulkan backend, I can choose a device like amdgpu, nvidia, or ACO. No way to know which method is better without running several benchmarks.

Vulkan seems to mean many things. Not sure how they integrate with ffmpeg, and the VAAPI, VDPAU, NVENC NVDEC, VCE, and whatnot. It seems like I need a doctorate just to figure out how to encode my videos.

Comment

Originally posted by AndyChow View Post
          Wow, have no idea how this will affect things. Seriously. Like at this point when I choose vulkan backend, I can choose a device like amdgpu, nvidia, or ACO. No way to know which method is better without running several benchmarks.

Vulkan seems to mean many things. Not sure how they integrate with ffmpeg, and the VAAPI, VDPAU, NVENC NVDEC, VCE, and whatnot. It seems like I need a doctorate just to figure out how to encode my videos.
          Software is hard.

Comment

Originally posted by AndyChow View Post
            I can choose a device like amdgpu, nvidia, or ACO
            ACO isn't a device, is it? I thought ACO was something software specific, not a hardware device like a GPU or something. ACO is asynchronous compilation or something, right? That wouldn't be a device, but a way code is compiled?

Comment

Originally posted by Xsidm View Post

ACO isn't a device, is it? I thought ACO was something software specific, not a hardware device like a GPU or something. ACO is asynchronous compilation or something, right? That wouldn't be a device, but a way code is compiled?
              It's lists as a device in ppsspp, but I'm sure it's software-like. ACO is listed as a shader compiler, to compete with the Vulkan one, but under Vulkan?

Comment

Working...
              X