OpenZFS 2.0 Released With Unified FreeBSD/Linux Support, Many New Features

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OpenZFS 2.0 Released With Unified FreeBSD/Linux Support, Many New Features

Phoronix: OpenZFS 2.0 Released With Unified FreeBSD/Linux Support, Many New Features

OpenZFS 2.0 has been officially released! OpenZFS 2.0 marks a major step forward for open-source ZFS file-system support for what started out as ZFSOnLinux but is now OpenZFS with unified FreeBSD and Linux support (macOS support is still being pursued as well) and this release also bringing many new features...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Super exciting, hopefully the shared codebase with BSDs will let the same ZFS volumes to be mounted anywhere

Comment

Originally posted by dylanmtaylor View Post
      Super exciting, hopefully the shared codebase with BSDs will let the same ZFS volumes to be mounted anywhere
      Not really disagreeing with you here, just wondering how useful it is to cross-mount (primarily thinking of the logistics of moving a bunch of drives from a system to another).

Comment

From a legal perspective, keep in mind that Oracle is likely to get plain interfaces (APIs) as protectable IP ... Supreme court case is ongoing, if I understand correctly.

Comment

Originally posted by vladpetric View Post

Not really disagreeing with you here, just wondering how useful it is to cross-mount (primarily thinking of the logistics of moving a bunch of drives from a system to another).
          Would have saved me a HUGE headache moving a volume from TrueNAS to Ubuntu 20.04 (a one-off task admittedly).

Comment

i hope for a soon proxmox integration ..

Comment

Would have saved me a HUGE headache moving a volume from TrueNAS to Ubuntu 20.04 (a one-off task admittedly).
              Do you like Ubuntu 20.04 better for a ZFS (maybe ZFS NAS)? Or maybe I should ask - what do you like about Ubuntu 20.04 (genuine question, not about starting flamewars).

Comment

Originally posted by vladpetric View Post

Do you like Ubuntu 20.04 better for a ZFS (maybe ZFS NAS)? Or maybe I should ask - what do you like about Ubuntu 20.04 (genuine question, not about starting flamewars).
                So the biggest thing for me to switch was Docker - I've been running a bunch of services with DockStarter, and my storage for media used to be on FreeBSD using a ZFS pool. I am still using a ZFS pool, but on Ubuntu 20.04 now. It gives me a lot more control over the system doing it myself, and Docker makes it super easy to run a bunch of servies.

Comment

I think that was already the case, if you put ZFS on the full device, or in a compatible partition type, but certainly a shared code base will ensure that they remain compatible.

If you use software full disk encryption (dmcrypt/LUKS on Linux, geli on FreeBSD) then that won't be portable.
                  Yes, I know about ZFS encryption, and that's not what I'm describing. I'm not advocating either for or against either kind of encryption.

Comment

an update post for bcachefs was posted 10days ago btw, no article on phoronix though: https://www.patreon.com/posts/upcoming-changes-44125345

Comment

Working...
                    X