Mesa Now 2~5x Faster For SPECViewPerf Following OpenGL Optimizations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mesa Now 2~5x Faster For SPECViewPerf Following OpenGL Optimizations

Phoronix: Mesa Now 2~5x Faster For SPECViewPerf Following OpenGL Optimizations

Well known open-source AMD Linux graphics driver developer Marek Olšák has just merged one of his largest set of optimizations in recent times: 2~5x faster performance for SPECViewPerf...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Mesa OpenGL especially on Radeon is still a pain on some specific tasks. Especially with things that are a bit out of the usual like Minecraft with Shaders. But thats this one and only case in this one game.

Comment

Originally posted by Alexmitter View Post
      Mesa OpenGL especially on Radeon is still a pain on some specific tasks. Especially with things that are a bit out of the usual like Minecraft with Shaders. But thats this one and only case in this one game.
      Amd need to put more people in all their drivers, it's only thing missing at this point great hardware again but need a lot of improvements in their drivers cpu and gpu to catch up the quality of nvidia at least

Comment

If they keep making progress on their linux driver as they are now, it will soon become really hard to recommend Nvidia to any linux user.

Comment

Originally posted by arunbupathy View Post
          If they keep making progress on their linux driver as they are now, it will soon become really hard to recommend Nvidia to any linux user.
          It's been hard to recommend Nvidia to Linux users for a couple years now. AMD's Linux drivers are fantastic. They're not the best they could be, but every minor release of Mesa has improvements and new features. I can't imagine it's easy trying to maintain drivers all way way back from GCN 1.0 while the industry keeps moving forward with new Vulkan extensions.

Comment

It seems to be to few times faster then anticipated

I know there is impossible to make something like terrible fglrx repair performance boost as of:

ATI R300/400 Linux Performance
            Written by Michael Larabel in Display Drivers on 5 September 2007
            Mobility Radeon X300 improvements with the fglrx 8.41 release were also phenomenal.

In Quake 4 with the lowest available settings, the performance improvement was 54x faster! Yes, fifty-four times faster.
            Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

But I wish something like that for drivers as of today-

Comment

Originally posted by Peter Fodrek View Post
              It seems to be to few times faster then anticipated

I know there is impossible to make something like terrible fglrx repair performance boost as of:

https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pa...item=822&num=4

But I wish something like that for drivers as of today-
              well if such a great leap is possible that means the driver was in a bad state before. I dont want to have bad drivers on release day.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
                It's been hard to recommend Nvidia to Linux users for a couple years now.
                As with much else, it depends on your use case. If you need/want the highest performance gpu computation, nvidia has been the leader for quite a number of years.

Comment

Originally posted by CommunityMember View Post
                  As with much else, it depends on your use case. If you need/want the highest performance gpu computation, nvidia has been the leader for quite a number of years.
                  Well like you said, it depends on your use case. Nvidia is not unanimously better for compute, though, CUDA does work immensely in their favor.

Comment

Originally posted by atomsymbol
                    Unfortunately, building mesa-9999 fails on may machine so I am unable to test whether these patches also happen to help Tomb Raider 2013 performance.

Code:
                    In file included from ../mesa-9999/src/vulkan/device-select-layer/device_select_layer.c:43:
                    ../mesa-9999/src/vulkan/util/vk_util.h:26:10: fatal error: util/macros.h: No such file or directory
                    26 | #include "util/macros.h"

Comment

Working...
                    X