Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OpenRGB 0.5 Released With Support For More Devices

Phoronix: OpenRGB 0.5 Released With Support For More Devices

While most hardware vendors don't support Linux to the extent that any products with configurable RGB lighting controls will officially be supported, OpenRGB has been one of the successful community projects for allowing many different devices to enjoy configurable, cross-vendor. and open-source RGB lighting controls...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Fedora copr (32/33): https://copr.fedorainfracloud.org/coprs/name/OpenRGB/

Comment

This is a cool piece of software. All your RGB controls for all your devices in one place. Unfortunately for me it never worked with my G502 and overrides my settings from piper. Works on my Gaming K7 X370 board, but it's a bit of a pain to have to manually load modules on every reboot.

Comment

MSI boards are a crime to get it to work (Mystic Light), I have a MSI B550A-Pro but will have that replaced by an ASRock board beginning next year just don't know which one yet.

Comment

Srsly how needs this.. I got a Ryzen 3700X, the boxed cooler has a stupid LED ring and RGB leds that lights the fanblades.. They turn on an cycle colors even if you don´t connect the included RGB bus cable .
          I don´t really want to pay for stupid things like that.. They could have included a temperature sensor in the finds instead or something like that.. As the on-chip temperature sensing sucks, as it is way to responsive and boosts up the fan to 80% or so fpr 3-4 seconds when load occurs even if the fins are still cold.

Replaced the cooler with a larger one without LEDs and 120mm fans later on as the fan of the included cooler was damn noisy.

Regarding Mainboards: They seem to be styled today as well, like black anodized aluminium coolers with laser engravings and such don´t want to pay for the extra process steps to be honest.. hard to find a "just components on a PCB" board..

Comment

I hate RGB lighting, when I want a premium part I don't need a light show.

Just me I guess.

Comment

Originally posted by Spacefish View Post
              Srsly how needs this.. I got a Ryzen 3700X, the boxed cooler has a stupid LED ring and RGB leds that lights the fanblades.. They turn on an cycle colors even if you don´t connect the included RGB bus cable .
              I don´t really want to pay for stupid things like that.. They could have included a temperature sensor in the finds instead or something like that.. As the on-chip temperature sensing sucks, as it is way to responsive and boosts up the fan to 80% or so fpr 3-4 seconds when load occurs even if the fins are still cold.

Replaced the cooler with a larger one without LEDs and 120mm fans later on as the fan of the included cooler was damn noisy.

Regarding Mainboards: They seem to be styled today as well, like black anodized aluminium coolers with laser engravings and such don´t want to pay for the extra process steps to be honest.. hard to find a "just components on a PCB" board..
              I actually agree. I would just like to have components that aren't constantly blinding me. Mice are the worst, flashy lights everywhere blinding you.

Comment

Originally posted by Jonjolt View Post
                I hate RGB lighting, when I want a premium part I don't need a light show.

Just me I guess.
                You are not alone.

I'm sure there's plenty of us who dislike subsidizing those who want their computers looking like a unicorn vomited on them.

Comment

Just disasembled the "prism wraith" cooler that came with my AMD CPU...

6 PCBs inside just for the LED crap..
                  - A big one with multiple uC Controllers, even a USB Controller!! (runs the whole length and height of the black upper part)
                  - A smaler one with a 3 pin (USB D+ D- GND) and a 4 pin (12V R G B) connector Interconnected to the other board with 7! Hand soldered wires
                  - One with a switch and 3 wires runing to the big PCB
                  - One which contains LEDs to illuminate the AMD Logo with 4 wires runing to the main big board (12V R G B)
                  - A flexible one with multiple LEDs which illumnates the "ring" 3 wires (VCC DIN GND)
                  - A fixed one to illumnate the blades with 4 wires

So in total we have 44 hand soldered joints just for the wires for illumnation.. (2 for power from the custom made Fan cable)

The fan portion of the cooler is just "clipped on" with hard plastic clips to the cooling fins.. The heatpipes are press fit into the copper aloy plate below and the surface is uneven (ridges)..

Srsly they should have just taken the money they invested into all the RGB craptronic into vibration damping between the fan and the fins as well as doing a better job on the mating surface between CPU headspreader and Cooler..

Comment

Originally posted by Spacefish View Post

There are boards that are just components on PCBs, but they tend to be the lower quality ones, meant for low budget use.

Comment

Working...
                    X