Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GNOME Shell UX Continues Improving For GNOME 40

Phoronix: GNOME Shell UX Continues Improving For GNOME 40

The pandemic isn't slowing down work on GNOME 40... In addition to this week's release of GTK 4.0, GNOME Shell developers continue progressing on some visible improvements slated for this 2021 desktop update...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

More like GNOME Shell UX Continues Regressing for GNOME 40.

GNOME UX never improves.

Comment

Not just mockups, the work on making those mockups reality are already starting. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YCq_MAQNoKA

Gnome 40 will be a big milestone, GTK4 with all its glory, libhandy for GTK4 <3, Phosh improving faster. Good times ahead of us.

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post

GNOME UX never improves.
        I haven't tried it in a couple of years, but my thoughts after looking this over is that it looked like even more of a mess.

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post

GNOME UX never improves.
          if all you are able to contribute is trolling, could you at least be a bit more creative?

Comment

Boot - now you have to make 1 more click just to get to a desktop or launched apps.
            Window Picker - windows visually overflow the desktop they are in making it a visual mess.
            App Grid - my 29 inch 21:9 display likes that. My hand moving mouse also.
            App Folders - wow, we had categories like always when App freakin' Menu existed.

So much UX, nice. Thank you KDE, Xfce, MATE, Cinnamon and others less popular classic DEs that you exist.

Comment

Originally posted by V1tol View Post
              Boot - now you have to make 1 more click just to get to a desktop or launched apps.
              Window Picker - windows visually overflow the desktop they are in making it a visual mess.
              App Grid - my 29 inch 21:9 display likes that. My hand moving mouse also.
              App Folders - wow, we had categories like always when App freakin' Menu existed.

So much UX, nice. Thank you KDE, Xfce, MATE, Cinnamon and others less popular classic DEs that you exist.
              Its the year 2020 and some people still haven't got the news that mouse acceleration is a thing.

And yes, thank god microwaved Windows 95 UIs exist so people who are unable to accept the slightest change in their life are able to use their PC.
              Last edited by Alexmitter; 19 December 2020, 04:47 PM.

Comment

Meanwhile KDE cannot even figure out how to solve kwin latency and stutters upstream.

Comment

Originally posted by Alexmitter View Post
                  And yes, thank god microwaved Windows 95 UIs exist so people who are unable to accept the slightest change in their life are able to use their PC.
                  As if GNOME were a "slight" change regarding UX.

Who is the troll here?

I mean GNOME would be OK on a tablet or a phone (despite the fact it doesn't even run well on both), but on a desktop it simply loves to screw you up and place the buttons in the wrong places.
                  Furthermore, precious vertical space wasted by huge gaps, and this mockup makes it worse. Why?!
                  Last edited by tildearrow; 19 December 2020, 05:21 PM.

Comment

I saw this earlier today and I'm honestly shocked at what I saw. The new metaphors are worse than current shell in every possible way! They propose, instead of iterating on the current excellent spatial model of gnome-shell, to completely ditch it in favor of a more Apple-esque model for absollutely no reason. I've been using gnome-shell for a decade, it's a great desktop UI. It needs iterative development. It definitely does not need re-imagining as an Apple product.

Comment

Working...
                    X