Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ubuntu Had A Stellar 2020 From Ubuntu 20.04 LTS To Continued WSL, Cloud Popularity

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ubuntu Had A Stellar 2020 From Ubuntu 20.04 LTS To Continued WSL, Cloud Popularity

Phoronix: Ubuntu Had A Stellar 2020 From Ubuntu 20.04 LTS To Continued WSL, Cloud Popularity

Ubuntu had a rather successful 2020 with the well received Ubuntu 20.04 LTS debut to continuing to make upstream improvements to GNOME, their adoption in the cloud and Windows Subsystem for Linux remaining strong, and all around Ubuntu being on steady footing across all areas of focus...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

this 20.04 remembers me 16.04 is rock solid and fast, but unity was must better in performance than gnome

Comment

Many thanks to Ubuntu and Debian. After all they are the only distro that matters in production after Red Hat.

Comment

Originally posted by andre30correia View Post
        this 20.04 remembers me 16.04 is rock solid and fast, but unity was must better in performance than gnome
        Same feeling here. Kubuntu 20.04 LTS works beautifully and I plan on staying with it until next LTS. However, I too miss Unity. It my favorite DE in all aspects. KDE comes second, thankfully for canonical, because otherwise I would have changed distribution.

But man, I still can't get it. Of all the projects that got canned by canonical, Unity was the potential and the vehicle that could take them into dimensions of different scale. Such a shame.

Comment

Anyone here experience with WSL? In particular, can it be used as a cross-compilation development platform for apps targeting a real Ubuntu 18.04 device?

(No, seriously. Its a real question.)

Comment

I am really happy that Ubuntu is partnering with WSL (World Surf League).

Comment

Originally posted by pipe13 View Post
              Anyone here experience with WSL? In particular, can it be used as a cross-compilation development platform for apps targeting a real Ubuntu 18.04 device?

Are you not worried about building code with WSL , don't you wonder when it will become the next paper-clippy/skype/MFC and disappear ?

- Linux : living without the win10 "forever" that is actually an expiring 9 year license key with forced upgrading.

Comment

Originally posted by pipe13 View Post

I have personally no direct experience with this, but some of my next-door colleagues are doing exactly that and it seems to work. Most of the colleagues work directly on Linux while some need to switch between windows and Linux, they use the WSL approach sucessfully.

Comment

Originally posted by lowflyer View Post

I have personally no direct experience with this, but some of my next-door colleagues are doing exactly that and it seems to work. Most of the colleagues work directly on Linux while some need to switch between windows and Linux, they use the WSL approach sucessfully.
                  Thanks lowflyer, that's what I wanted to know. I'd heard WSL was "just a VM under Windows", but there are still ways to bork (i.e. non-standardize) it's Ubuntu installation packages, had Microsoft tried.

Comment

Working...
                  X