Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fedora Workstation 33 Performing Very Well - Runs Past Clear Linux On Intel Tiger Lake Notebook

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fedora Workstation 33 Performing Very Well - Runs Past Clear Linux On Intel Tiger Lake Notebook

Phoronix: Fedora Workstation 33 Performing Very Well - Runs Past Clear Linux On Intel Tiger Lake Notebook

Following the recent AMD Zen 3 tests on Intel's Clear Linux a user expressed curiosity over the Intel-backed Linux distribution on Tiger Lake hardware given I hadn't done a multi-distribution comparison there yet. Using the Dell XPS 9310 as my lone Tiger Lake notebook I ran some benchmarks of Clear Linux, Ubuntu, Manjaro, and Fedora. For a change, Clear Linux wasn't the distant front-runner.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Wow. Quite impressive for Fedora 33. I am wondering if this performance lead holds for workstation class hardware such as EPYC and Threadripper. Also, what is mainly responsible for this?

Comment

So Fedora is the new king of throttling? Doesn't sound like Fedora got better - sounds like the test laptops got worse.

Comment

I use Fedora33 workstation on all my systems-.. and i am happy about this result.
        Phantom circuit Sequence Reducer Dyslexia

Comment

Fedora is based. Sane defaults and just werks! No neckbeard freetardism bullshit.

Comment

I've used openSUSE for more than 10 years. With KDE. I was a real KDE fanboy. Last year I switch to Fedora (just trying it out) and see if I can tune Gnome to fit my workflow. Mean reason: lack of polish on the KDE front.

I have to say: Fedora is one hell of a polished distribution. OpenSUSE is still great (I run it on my servers), but as a workstation Fedora is very well executed.

Comment

What the heck have they been feeding the hat felt?
              Mink grease from Danish farms? Damn.

Comment

Glad to see a reasonable display resolution on this laptop. I was half expecting Dell to push something totally braindead like 4k resolution on a 13" screen. "Because XPS!!111" But honestly, a 13" screen is pretty miserable for anything beyond a quickie task, not sure why they bother with high spec XPS models in such a small form factor.
                Last edited by torsionbar28; 29 December 2020, 01:59 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by torsionbar28 View Post
                  Glad to see a reasonable display resolution on this laptop. I was half expecting Dell to push something totally braindead like 4k resolution on a 13" screen. "Because XPS!!111"
                  As I recall, the 13" XPS does offer a 4K option for those that want it (and I think the XPS is marketed as a 13.3" screen, which is around 3% bigger!).

But honestly, a 13" screen is pretty miserable for anything beyond a quickie task, not sure why they bother with high spec XPS models in such a small form factor
                  Because not everyone wants a new messenger bag to haul around a larger laptop as they ride their bicycle to the next gig, but still have a need for a high-spec model?

Because everywhere the owner goes they can plug into a larger monitor, so it is really about the portability of the laptop, and watching videos of cats while on the train?

Ultimately, I am sure Dell knows what sells, and builds to that market. That some people may over or under buy is not Dell's problem.
                  Last edited by CommunityMember; 29 December 2020, 02:28 PM.

Comment

I was surprised to see that Fedora 33 won, even though it was the only OS running Btrfs (vs. ext4). Btrfs has a number of good features, but there's a cost for COW, which usually shows up in benchmarks. Perhaps the other lmits that Michael mentions, especially thermal throttling, make this less important on a laptop.

Comment

Working...
                    X