No announcement yet.

ReactOS Has Been Steadily Improving As An Open-Source Windows Implementation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ReactOS Has Been Steadily Improving As An Open-Source Windows Implementation

Phoronix: ReactOS Has Been Steadily Improving As An Open-Source Windows Implementation

ReactOS as the long work-in-progress open-source operating system implementation of Windows enjoyed much progress over the course of 2020...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I'd really hope I can make use of a Hammer editor for creating Portal 2 puzzles (sorry, Portal 2's in-game Puzzle Editor is too basic for me).

If my only alternative is Windows 10 for creating Portal 2 maps, well, honestly I don't like the look of flat UI unlike Windows 7. I miss Aero Glass and the lack of preinstalled bloatware in Windows 7 compared to Windows 10.

Would be nice if ReactOS could catch up to Windows 7 with support for UEFI and AMD64 so I can use Hammer editor. Hopefully Windows will be a thing of the past but then I doubt it... And no, Portal 2 Hammer Editor does not work in Wine. Not even PlayOnLinux along with Proton. Same for playing Final Fantasy X/X-2 with graphical glitches. (sigh)

Comment

Hmm, I always ask myself if all the reactOS is worthless.
      Tzey should better use their skill and time for Wine.

Comment

ReactOS really saved our ass at work last year. We had a need to update the firmware on one of the sensors attached to our embedded Linux PC-based products, while the products were in the field, some of them in very remote/inaccessible locations. The firmware can only be flashed using a crappy old Windows application, which will not run properly under Wine. Thankfully I was able to configure a QEMU disk image with ReactOS, preloaded with the manufacturer flashing app, and do the firmware upgrade remotely. The whole thing was a lot smaller than had we done this with Windows disk image, weighing in at only 350 MB or so, which was a big plus since only very flaky 4G/3G connection was available at most sites. Big thanks to the ReactOS team. A lot of respect for re-implementing all those old APIs, warts and all.

Comment

Originally posted by obri View Post
          There is always a time and place for various things. Maybe we don't get it, but this is someones work that can be put to use in Wine regardless (in other ways, since it is Open Source).

Comment

Damn those people who don't do what I want with their free time...

Comment

Originally posted by numacross View Post

Damn those people who don't do what I want with their free time...
              Seems to be a common sentiment of most of the Facebook-mentality airhead "experts", who infest most of the technical forums these days...rendering the "technical" forums anything but...

Comment

It is my understanding that the reactos devs are actually heavy contributors to wine, and also reactos is quite heavily based on wine as well.

I can relate a little though, I tend to feel that reactOS is mostly worthless, but it's not because the project itself is inherently worthless, so much as that the project becomes worthless to me as an end-user due to lack of progress. Of course that only applies to my specific use cases though, but still... I mean this is a project that's been in development for 22 years, I doubt they have any good excuses for not having come anywhere close to completing it by now...

22 years is a loooong time. But worthless is a bit of a stretch, disappointing would be more like it. So much potential but not enough of it realized after so much time.
                Last edited by rabcor; 02 January 2021, 12:39 PM.

Comment

I would love to try/use ReactOS...the thing is that it actually NEVER even correctly booted in ANY of my BIOS machines...it ALWAYS gets stuck in the Boot process...bad luck, i guess...
                  Last edited by AJSB; 02 January 2021, 01:38 PM.

Comment

After 23 years, they are still in alpha. I had a career as a software developer and retired in that time. I have a hard time taking them seriously - I prefer products that release in my lifetime.

Then there is all the controversy over copyrights and funding. The main response to these seems to be an angrey response that they are only a hobby project.

Maybe they just need a business degree. I just wish they would 'get their s**t together'

Comment

Working...
                    X