Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dav1d 0.8 Released With More Optimizations - More AMD Performance

Phoronix: dav1d 0.8 Released With More Optimizations - More AMD Performance

Dav1d 0.8 was released this weekend (and subsequently 0.8.1 too) as the latest major release for this CPU-based AV1 decoder hosted by the VideoLAN project. Dav1d continues to be about offering the best AV1 decode speed and with the v0.8 series are even faster results -- so here are some of our initial data points as well from some weekend benchmarking...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Might be even better for my old non-AVX AMD:

Originally posted by Release announcement
    CDEF in SSE
    The CDEF filter alone is a third of the CPU load (before adding SIMD, at least I got a similar result): https://code.videolan.org/videolan/dav1d/-/issues/15

Comment

If you still have the Talos Power9 system, could you include it in more tests?

Comment

Originally posted by rjzak View Post
        If you still have the Talos Power9 system, could you include it in more tests?
        They will appear on the OB test profile page in the coming days, had been wanting to do so (and ARM) but the Talos II server is currently running other tests that won't wrap up for another day or so.
        Michael Larabel
        https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

FPS doesn't seem to have changed much. Did power draw?

Comment

God bless these developers with Assembly skills!

Comment

Wow, I didn't really pay attention to these benchmarks for a while. I guess AV1 @ 1080p is now playable on just about any mainstream CPU from about the past 10 years?

I remember back when H.264 was still too slow to play 1080p smoothly, on a Pentium 4.

Comment

Originally posted by coder View Post
                Wow, I didn't really pay attention to these benchmarks for a while. I guess AV1 @ 1080p is now playable on just about any mainstream CPU from about the past 10 years?
                Considering my TV can do AV1@4k, it better be.

Comment

Wow, one of those tools in Summer Nature got a big boost, I wonder which one that was.

Comment

While the above charts tends to show more the shear performance of high end x86 systems, the real excitement is on the lower end x86 and with a lot of the arm tv box and sbc now having the ability to play most 1080p 8bit AV1 content that you may encounter, thanks to the work done by the dav1d team. Some higher end arm devices are even edging closer to doing watchable 4k 8bit decoding.

10bit decoding still needs a bit more to get really usable on arm, but is progressing well with each release as well.

Comment

Working...
                    X