Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Progress On The GNOME 40 Shell Continues At Full Speed

Phoronix: Progress On The GNOME 40 Shell Continues At Full Speed

The GNOME Shell user experience improvements and other components continue in development at full-speed for the GNOME 40 release due out in March...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I really like it

Comment

I wish the videos posted by the gnome folk had fallback formats for iOS 😕

Comment

.... I like it.

I have just recently played with gnome (as I am a plasma user) and felt a little lacking, this looks like it could be actually quite a useful update.

nice work gnome devs!

Comment

Gnome has to rework their icon themes for Nautilus. I also don't like the color of the windows background.

Comment

I look forward to the technical improvements in GNOME Shell 40 but I don't really care about the changes, I don't care about virtual desktop and neither do most people. Nor do I care about that touch-oriented overview/dash that occupies the whole screen and takes me away from my desktop, so I will just use ArcMenu and Dash-to-panel. I hope the ArcMenu and Dash-to-panel extensions will continue to work.

I want a good desktop like that of Windows 10, not some weird full screen app drawer with virtual desktops like Android or iOS.

Comment

Originally posted by boxie View Post
              .... I like it.

I have just recently played with gnome (as I am a plasma user) and felt a little lacking, this looks like it could be actually quite a useful update.

nice work gnome devs!
              IMHO, it still won't be up to par with with Plasma, Cinnamon, or Mate in regards to efficient multitasking. For me, any work involving three or more programs feels clunky and slower on GNOME; like jumping between a web browser, a terminal, a text editor, and a file browser which I seem to do a lot. The way I can set that up in Plasma is just more efficient to me and not much on that video showed GNOME getting better in that regard.

I did like that the app drawer made use of the sides of the screen. The last time I used vanilla GNOME the icons were in a square shape with lots of padding on the sides and it really annoyed me. I'm not a fan of full screen app drawers, but that's better than what it was.

If GNOME had a taskbar and a drop-down terminal added to the project I could really make it work. Sorry not sorry, but I'm never going to be able to make those icon dock launchers on the bottom work. I'll compromise on a taskbar with quick-launch icons, but that's as far as I'll go. The things I want to access that fast will be icons on my desktop or taskbar and I'll use the main menu for the rest...oh, wait...

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
                I look forward to the technical improvements in GNOME Shell 40 but I don't really care about the changes, I don't care about virtual desktop and neither do most people. Nor do I care about that touch-oriented overview/dash that occupies the whole screen and takes me away from my desktop, so I will just use ArcMenu and Dash-to-panel. I hope the ArcMenu and Dash-to-panel extensions will continue to work.

I want a good desktop like that of Windows 10, not some weird full screen app drawer with virtual desktops like Android or iOS.
                Android and iOS don't have virtual desktops, they have multiple start screen pages. That's a totally different concept. Linux's virtual desktops are like those on AmigaOS (from which Linux DE's copied it).

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post

Android and iOS don't have virtual desktops, they have multiple start screen pages. That's a totally different concept. Linux's virtual desktops are like those on AmigaOS (from which Linux DE's copied it).
                  Yeah, maybe so, but I am not interested in any virtual desktops, and most computer users seem not to be either. It seems to be some small set of special type of users who like that functionality. So GNOME Shell have lots of uninteresting stuff that does not interest me who just want a desktop like Windows 10.

Comment

I like the Timer, that's actually very useful. Also, I really really wish they'd add a hibernate button in the system menu. They finally added a suspend button - come on GNOME devs, you can do it! I promise it won't kill you.

Comment

Working...
                    X