Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

KDE's KWin Compositor Sees Near Total Rewrite Of Compositing Code.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KDE's KWin Compositor Sees Near Total Rewrite Of Compositing Code.

Phoronix: KDE's KWin Compositor Sees Near Total Rewrite Of Compositing Code.

KDE's KWin window manager / compositor has seen a "near total rewrite" of its compositing code that should sharply improve the desktop...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

So why not just write it properly for the first time? People say the Linux world is full of duplicate work. This is the duplication of duplicate work.

Comment

Will this fix the stuttering issue in Kwin_x11?

Comment

Originally posted by eydee View Post
        So why not just write it properly for the first time? People say the Linux world is full of duplicate work. This is the duplication of duplicate work.
        So you refused to do the work and now you're complaining that the other guys didn't get it right the first time. Maybe you should be thankful instead.

Comment

Creating stuff also means making mistakes. It is an unavoidable part of the creative process. Re implementing a thing can be done for that reason, but it can also just be that the circumstances have changed. Maybe the hardware has changed or people just have new demands.
          So rewrites are not a bad thing in them selves. They can be of course, but mostly they fix or add features that people want.

Comment

Is this incorporating any code or general concepts from the Wayland KwinFT fork?

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Comment

Originally posted by user1 View Post
              Will this fix the stuttering issue in Kwin_x11?
              this, and what does tildearrow think? xP'' i actually have my sis running his fork on her gaming laptop.. it was kinda necessary, specially at 144Hz. plasma so worth it

Comment

Well, sometimes you have written a great code in the past but circumstances have changed slowly in the following years making it impossible to justify a rewritting. But then after some time you will realise that circumstances have changend drastically over time (accumulated) and that the original code does not fit anymore. Any new addition is just a pain. That is the major reason of a rewrite. e.g. X

Anyone working on large codebases must have experienced it. You can avoid major rewrites by designing the structure flexible from the beginning but often this makes it way more complicated and often the project is small and it would be seen as bloated....

Comment

supporting differing refreshrates for multi monitor setups is great!
                  Wasn't that one of the big points of the KwinFT project?

I'm wondering what kept vlad from going the vulkan-route instead of further reliance on openGL (or is that a completely different area?)

I'm curious if that rewrite will make tildearrow s kwin-lowlatency unnecessary (i guess he will be relieved to have this work being "over" if that is true? ^^)

Comment

From https://pointieststick.com/2021/01/0...visualization/ (Nate's Blog)

In addition, it brings support for mixed-refresh-rate display setups on Wayland, e.g. one 144Hz screen and one 60Hz screen! This very exciting work was completed by Vlad Zahorodnii and will land in Plasma 5.21.
                    This is good - especially for a laptop and an external monitor.

But that’s not all: Plasma also got a brand new Kickoff menu, which was rewritten from the ground up and fixes more than two thirds of the open issues in the bug tracker!
                    I am glad for all of the fixes, but IMHO, the Kickoff Menu looks too much like Windows 10. Maybe it will help ease the transition for some.

Overall, it looks really good.
                    Last edited by f0rmat; 09 January 2021, 10:41 AM. Reason: More grammar - I cannot write a clear sentence today.
                    GOD is REAL unless declared as an INTEGER.

Comment

Working...
                    X