No announcement yet.

PHP 8.0 Is Too Fresh For Fedora 34 That It Will Be Punted To F35 In The Autumn

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PHP 8.0 Is Too Fresh For Fedora 34 That It Will Be Punted To F35 In The Autumn

Phoronix: PHP 8.0 Is Too Fresh For Fedora 34 That It Will Be Punted To F35 In The Autumn

While Fedora has been well known for years in always shipping the very latest packages in its distribution as of release even if it means using the likes of a near-final GCC compiler pre-release, developers have decided to postpone the shipping of PHP 8.0 until the autumn with their Fedora 35 release...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I used to code PHP as a kid, but that was over a decade ago, but I've been following the progress of the language over the years and it has really evolved. It makes me miss and and kind of want to code in it again. I haven't gotten around to play with PHP 8 but it seems great!

It's a little bummer that PHP is a "web language" which makes it a less good choice if you want to learn a general-purpose language that you can do whatever with. Technically you can do CLI applications in PHP and there used to be GTK bindings, but even though those were technically possible the language really wasn't used in that way and it is sill most commonly used as a language for the web, with people picking other languages for non-web stuff.

PHP is old and have its warts but many has been fixed and the language have evolved nicely. The new syntax for annotations is rather clunky with <<Annotation>> which is unfortunate because @ was already used as a silencing operator.
    There is no support for async/await, but other then that, it is overall really good.

Comment

Likely to be postponed also in Debian 11:

Given transition freeze is in two days.

Comment

This reminds me, one of the issues I have with PHP (and php-fpm) is that there doesn't appear to be a standalone build with common modules enabled (for say, Laravel or Symfony). This means you need to find a PPA/third-party repository to update your PHP version unless you're willing to build it from source. Is there any effort that aims to provide distribution-independent, easily reloctable binaries? The web server part is already nicely handled by Caddy, but you still need PHP + php-fpm to run a complete PHP web application on that server.

Of course, you can use Docker/Podman but I've found it to be inconvenient for both development and production purposes personally. I'd like something a bit closer to the Go/Rust web development experience, where you have a single binary with no dependencies to run a web service. Of course, PHP probably won't be able to do this for a long time, but being able to run a source repository with standalone binaries would be a huge step up already

Comment

Originally posted by Calinou View Post
          Of course, you can use Docker/Podman but I've found it to be inconvenient for both development and production purposes personally. I'd like something a bit closer to the Go/Rust web development experience, where you have a single binary with no dependencies to run a web service. Of course, PHP probably won't be able to do this for a long time, but being able to run a source repository with standalone binaries would be a huge step up already
          Consider AppImage? I know it's abusing the mechanism but it should work as a single binary...

However if your website/web service needs some advanced database like MySQL/PostgreSQL, Docker might be the only way to deploy it without too much hassle.

Comment

Working...
          X