Rav1e 0.4 Released For Faster Rust AV1 Encoding - But Still Is Quite Slow

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rav1e 0.4 Released For Faster Rust AV1 Encoding - But Still Is Quite Slow

Phoronix: Rav1e 0.4 Released For Faster Rust AV1 Encoding - But Still Is Quite Slow

Rav1e 0.4 was released on Wednesday as the latest version of this Rust-written AV1 video encoder. The rav1e 0.4 release represents a speed-up for the encoder but depending upon the preset level can still be at fractions of a frame per second...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

"much faster", while true, seems like a bit of an understatement when you're talking almost an order of magnitude...

Comment

Article mentions "Rust" and "this software not quite as fast as a hyper-optimized implementation"?

Trolls gonna be out in full-force and spewing strawmans this thread.

Comment

Originally posted by aspen View Post
        Trolls gonna be out in full-force and spewing strawmans this thread.
        15 posts.. Usually when this happens, referring to trolling signifies the first troll in line.

Comment

Originally posted by milkylainen View Post

15 posts.. Usually when this happens, referring to trolling signifies the first troll in line.
          mate that's kinda unfair when you've been here since 2012 and I've only been here for a few months.

personally I'm just hoping to discourage any annoyances by calling them out. sorry though, my post was off-topic.

Comment

Bl*dy hell .. but why it is wrytten in rust?
            It is fundamental design issue using tooling which forces to use own build automation (cargo) and still is very unstable! (from design perspective)

Comment

mate that's kinda unfair when you've been here since 2012 and I've only been here for a few months.

personally I'm just hoping to discourage any annoyances by calling them out. sorry though, my post was off-topic.
              Well. That was sort of the point. The less than ideal way of starting a thread.
              A fresh account and calling everybody with an annoyance/opinion a troll...
              And yes, we digress.

Rust has some points SVT-AV1 has others. But comparing them seems a little bit apples to oranges when you're talking a magnitude of speed.
              So what I'm trying to say, I guess, is that they probably have different users with very different needs.
              If I was doing encoding for a product/platform/content, I would not spend 10x CPU cycles to do encoding for the same quality etc, unless something very specific is needed. But that's just me.

Comment

Originally posted by kloczek View Post
                Bl*dy hell .. but why it is wrytten in rust?
                It is fundamental design issue using tooling which forces to use own build automation (cargo) and still is very unstable! (from design perspective)
                i can't tell if this is a tongue-in-cheek response to my remark, which if that's the case, kudos, you nailed the "average Phoronix troll" nail right on the head.

if it's not a joke, well, do they need a reason to write it in Rust other than "we want to and can reasonably do so"? (people seem to forget that it's entirely possible to just compile rust with rustc directly, but like, why? cargo is better than most other languages' automation systems, and there's decent solutions for integrating with other build automation systems anyways)

Comment

Originally posted by milkylainen View Post

Well. That was sort of the point. The less than ideal way of starting a thread.
                  A fresh account and calling everybody with an annoyance/opinion a troll...
                  And yes, we digress.

Rust has some points SVT-AV1 has others. But comparing them seems a little bit apples to oranges when you're talking a magnitude of speed.
                  So what I'm trying to say, I guess, is that they probably have different users with very different needs.
                  If I was doing encoding for a product/platform/content, I would not spend 10x CPU cycles to do encoding for the same quality etc, unless something very specific is needed. But that's just me.
                  I never said anyone with an opinion is a troll. I'm saying that almost any thread involving Rust will have at least one person gripe about Rust, and said person usually doesn't have a good-faith argument and just spews strawmans.

And I will gladly respond to strawmans and bad-faith arguments with actual arguments and facts.

Also, what's your "minimum age" for an account to say something without you automatically assuming that they're a troll?

Comment

I never said anyone with an opinion is a troll. I'm saying that almost any thread involving Rust will have at least one person gripe about Rust, and said person usually doesn't have a good-faith argument and just spews strawmans.

And I will gladly respond to strawmans and bad-faith arguments with actual arguments and facts.

Also, what's your "minimum age" for an account to say something without you automatically assuming that they're a troll?
                    FWIW, this language sucks for reasons happens in every thread about any language.

Comment

Working...
                    X