Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flatpak 1.10 Released With More Efficient Repo Format

Phoronix: Flatpak 1.10 Released With More Efficient Repo Format

Flatpak 1.10 is out this morning as the stable release following the Flatpak 1.9 development series for this Linux app sandboxing / distribution technology...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Ah, that's great news. I frequently use flatpak on Arch for AUR apps, which have many (python) dependencies (like paperwork) and can therefore be a huge PITA.

Comment

Why does it need to get the metadata from all apps? Searching or getting info couldn't be request based to the flathub API as needed? Current approach won't scale (being optimist if the number of apps gets to millions+).
      Last edited by guiaiolfi; 14 January 2021, 09:46 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by guiaiolfi View Post
        Why does it need to get the metadata from all apps? Search or getting info couldn't be request based to the flathub API as needed? Current approach won't scale (being optimist if the number of apps gets to millions+).
        That's what I'm wondering myself.

Comment

I like Flatpak, I usually use it for "apps I don't exactly trust with full permissions", such as Zoom.

Glad to see it getting better and better!

Comment

I've had some problems with packages being corrupt and I was not able to uninstall them, when I tried I got some weird error, but it was possible to fix it by running some weird repair command. Flatpak seems pretty cool, but it maybe it can be more robust.

Comment

Originally posted by oleid View Post
              I frequently use flatpak on Arch for AUR apps
              I ran away on Manjaro to not use any snapaks because everything AUR has, but your sentence made my brain segfault.

Comment

Originally posted by V1tol View Post
                I ran away on Manjaro to not use any snapaks because everything AUR has, but your sentence made my brain segfault.
                Poor brain. The reason is: AUR can be hell, if dependencies of your local apps break silently. Then you start debugging what went wrong.
                Flatpak is better *for me* in this case, as it contains its non-default dependencies.

I don't use flatpak for most other AUR apps, where their dependencies are (mostly) install-able via pacman.
                Last edited by oleid; 14 January 2021, 11:00 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
                  I've had some problems with packages being corrupt and I was not able to uninstall them, when I tried I got some weird error, but it was possible to fix it by running some weird repair command. Flatpak seems pretty cool, but it maybe it can be more robust.
                  Have you reported it to the developers?

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post

Have you reported it to the developers?
                    There is a GitHub issue about it, but it is closed.
                    Ubuntu 18.04.3 Flatpak 1.4.3 Today, suddenly when I ran the command flatpak update in the terminal, I got this strange error message: F: Error updating remote metadata for 'gnome': Error resolving “sdk.gnome.org”: Name or service not kno...

Comment

Working...
                    X