No announcement yet.

CloudLinux Announces AlmaLinux As Their 1:1 RHEL Fork, Alternative To CentOS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CloudLinux Announces AlmaLinux As Their 1:1 RHEL Fork, Alternative To CentOS

Phoronix: CloudLinux Announces AlmaLinux As Their 1:1 RHEL Fork, Alternative To CentOS

Following the surprise announcement last month that CentOS 8 will be discontinued at EOY2021 with CentOS Stream to be the new upstream for RHEL, several different organizations and developers have announced their intentions to create new community-oriented, open-source rebuilds of Red Hat Enterprise Linux that will be free. One of the promising announcements so far has been from CloudLinux and today they have announced it as AlmaLinux...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I don't understand why big corporations like twitter, fb etc. can't just bought RHEL license if they need RHEL. For those corporations license cost is niche. This situation shows a bad side of free software, however overall free software is still a much better than proprietary.

Comment

Originally posted by nadro View Post
      I don't understand why big corporations like twitter, fb etc. can't just bought RHEL license if they need RHEL. For those corporations license cost is niche. This situation shows a bad side of free software, however overall free software is still a much better than proprietary.
      Licensing restrictions, and short-lifecycle systems might make buying RHEL tricky without leaving compliance.

Comment

Those companies can hire the engineers that will fix things upstream and patch downstream, so they've no need of RH support.

Comment

Originally posted by Snaipersky View Post
          Licensing restrictions, and short-lifecycle systems might make buying RHEL tricky without leaving compliance.
          Simple Content Access and Subscription Watch are projects that should ease some of those scenarios you mention.

Comment

Originally posted by Snaipersky View Post
            Short-lifecycle systems? Big companies use their systems for a long time and RHEL is supported for 10 years.

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post

Short-lifecycle systems? Big companies use their systems for a long time and RHEL is supported for 10 years.
              I think he means systems for CI for example, systems that won't be running 24/7 for years. Customer may have a large number of long-term RHEL systems and subscribing those might be easy, but for systems that scale-out, or CI environments can be tricky.

Comment

Messing with licenses is a pain. Also, if you're never going to want support, why bother?

Comment

I approve the namechange. Lenin linux would have been quite awkward.
                  Now we get this grand-grand-mother named linux ... lol.
                  Last edited by deemon; 14 January 2021, 04:21 PM.

Comment

Alma huh? I hope we have nothing to F.E.A.R.

Comment

Working...
                    X