Zink OpenGL-On-Vulkan vs. RadeonSI OpenGL Performance As Of January 2021

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Zink OpenGL-On-Vulkan vs. RadeonSI OpenGL Performance As Of January 2021

Phoronix: Zink OpenGL-On-Vulkan vs. RadeonSI OpenGL Performance As Of January 2021

With the Zink OpenGL-on-Vulkan implementation within Mesa on a nice upward trajectory with most recently now having the backing of a Valve contract developer and a focus on getting the backlog of patches to this Gallium3D code upstreamed, here are some fresh benchmarks looking at where the performance currently stands when using Zink atop the RADV Vulkan driver compared to using the native RadeonSI driver with this round of testing from a Radeon RX 5700 XT graphics card.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Very interesting! I suppose the reason for the performance difference is that zink is more tuned for the intel vulkan driver?

Comment

Seems like a long way to go on the performance department.

Comment

I expected it to be slower than native, but not that much. Seems something is off.

Comment

There's a lot of performance work still sitting in mike's repo vs mainline, like resource caching (if I recall he said it was a double digits improvement on AMD, and other work.

Comment

Originally posted by kbios View Post
            Very interesting! I suppose the reason for the performance difference is that zink is more tuned for the intel vulkan driver?
            I myself tested it and I found a similar performance ratio between zink and intel.

Comment

Interesting, but would have rather seen the zink-wip branch benchmarked

Comment

I expect that stability and correctness are the main goals of getting the patches into main. Then Mike's performance work can trickle in and well see improvements over the year ahead.

Comment

Michael Agreed. You should check out zink-wip branch.

I run zink daily, and get 75-90% of radeonsi on my GPU.

I do run Unigine Heaven, Unigine Valley, Unigine Superposition, Supertuxkart, glmark2 and GpuTest 0.7 almost daily for performance, and your results are nothing like mine. I get easily 65-75% in all these benchmarks compared to radeonsi on same GPU.

Also check Unigine Superposition. It works perfectly with zink-wip, and often 80-90%, depending on resolution and other settings.
                  Last edited by baryluk; 23 January 2021, 11:29 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by kbios View Post
                    Not really anymore. I was helping Mike for some time with AMD/Radv performance, and for few weeks he also has own AMD GPU to test. We can get easily 70%-85% of radeonsi in most games, benchmarks and microbenchmarks. But that is with proper branches, flags and compiler options, etc.

Comment

Working...
                    X