Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

AMD Schedutil vs. Performance Governor Benchmarks On Linux 5.11 Shows More Upside Potential

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD Schedutil vs. Performance Governor Benchmarks On Linux 5.11 Shows More Upside Potential

Phoronix: AMD Schedutil vs. Performance Governor Benchmarks On Linux 5.11 Shows More Upside Potential

With a pending patch, the Linux 5.11 AMD Zen 2 / Zen 3 performance is looking very good as far as the out-of-the-box performance is concerned when using Schedutil as is becoming the increasingly default CPU frequency scaling governor on more distributions / default kernels. With the previously noted Linux 5.11 regression addressed from when the AMD CPU frequency invariance support was first introduced, the Schedutil performance from small Ryzen systems up through big EPYC hardware is looking quite good. But how much upside is left in relation to the optimal CPU frequency scaling performance with the "performance" governor? Here is a look at those benchmarks on Ryzen and EPYC for Schedutil vs. Performance on a patched Linux 5.11 kernel.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Awesome article Michael and with PTS the devs can reproduce this tests to check their changes

Comment

Isn't CPUFreq not relevant for Intel?

Comment

The article says "schedutil", but several charts say "ondemand". Is this a mix up in the schedulers or a confusion in the naming?

Comment

Originally posted by sdack View Post
          The article says "schedutil", but several charts say "ondemand". Is this a mix up in the schedulers or a confusion in the naming?
          Whoops, thanks, just a typo. As the Schedutil run is the same data from the other day in the Schedutil patching article, when I went to rename "Linux 5.11 Patched" to "CPUFreq Schedutil", I accidentally typed "CPUFreq Ondemand" instead. But as denoted by the auto-generated footnotes on the system table, the testing was indeed with Schedutil. Just a simple typo on my part with up until recently mostly seeing ondemand used.
          Michael Larabel
          https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

is there any meaning is using schedutil when both performance and schedutil have almost the same power consumption?

Comment

Originally posted by loganj View Post
              is there any meaning is using schedutil when both performance and schedutil have almost the same power consumption?
              My gut feeling is better idle efficiency

Comment

isn't intel post to switch to schedutil from powersave too?

Comment

Schedutil (and cpufreq in general) is supposed to save power under typical usage, not while running benchmarks... just saying.

Comment

ISTM that every single article about schedutil for the last God-only-knows how many years now could be summarised as "Better than the last version, but still absolutely nowhere near suitable for actual use". Except for the ones that could be summarised as "Worse than the last version, because we introduced an obvious bug but didn't bother running any tests at all before pushing it".

Wake me up when it starts to compete with even OnDemand, let alone Performance... :/

Comment

Working...
                    X