Radeon RX 6800 Series Linux Performance Nearly Three Months After Launch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Radeon RX 6800 Series Linux Performance Nearly Three Months After Launch

Phoronix: Radeon RX 6800 Series Linux Performance Nearly Three Months After Launch

Given the daily progress and changes made to the open-source AMDGPU Linux kernel driver and the Mesa drivers providing the open-source OpenGL (RadeonSI) and Vulkan (RADV) support, here is a look at how the Radeon RX 6800 series performance is currently for the latest Linux graphics driver code compared to the performance seen back on the November launch day for the Radeon RX 6800 and RX 6800 XT graphics cards.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Except you can't buy them anywhere now. Still waiting for Sapphire Pulse RX 6800 XT to be available.

Comment

Very strange that the 6800 had such high gains while the XT stagnated or got even slower? O_o

Comment

Originally posted by Termy View Post
        Very strange that the 6800 had such high gains while the XT stagnated or got even slower? O_o
        It's explained in the article text.
        Michael Larabel
        https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Performance is looking much better, wondering how it compares to Windows at the moment.

Originally posted by shmerl View Post
          Except you can't buy them anywhere now. Still waiting for Sapphire Pulse RX 6800 XT to be available.
          XFX, ASUS, and Gigabyte's 6800 (XT) are in stock here in South Africa. Sapphire not so much...

These are not in stock:
          Sapphire rx 6800 Nitro+
          Sapphire rx 6800XT Nitro+
          Sapphire rx 6800XT Nitro+ Special edition
          Sapphire rx 6900XT Nitro+

I'm still waiting to upgrade my 480 Nitro+

Comment

any changes in power consumption?
            Michael you should really add power consumption with these kind of benchmarks. in this case 6800 had a very nice boost in performance but was the power consumption the same as before? i know 6800 had pretty lower power consumption in first tests
            im also curious about the power consumption compare to nvidia.

Comment

Here in the USA, nothing is in stock except for three+ year old cards. The Radeon RX 570 I bought a couple of years ago for $140.00 US is now running $600-$800 US.

Is it the miners? Is it 45's tariffs? Is it the universe telling us we should just shut up, be satisfied with our old cards and be terribly, terribly jealous of Michael who hasn't actually played a video game in 15 years?

I know, Michael has better things to do than play video games.

Comment

Michael's reporting is why I waited for the RX 480 refresh + a few months before I got my 580. I'd have waited longer but my previous GPU's fan quit working and I didn't catch it until it got too hot.

Comment

Originally posted by shmerl View Post
                  Yup the benchmark I want to see is how fast they can ramp up production.

I'm currently running an RX580 that groans under compute loads so I am looking at that VkFFT chart with lust in my heart.

Comment

The Newegg Shuffle got me a Sapphire Nitro+ 6900 XT.

Prices with the tarrifs are crazy. It would have been cheaper to buy one from a scalper last year, but I'm still glad I didn't encourage that sort of thing.

Comment

Working...
                    X