The FUTEX2 System Call Continues Working Its Way Towards Mainline In 2021

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The FUTEX2 System Call Continues Working Its Way Towards Mainline In 2021

Phoronix: The FUTEX2 System Call Continues Working Its Way Towards Mainline In 2021

The work-in-progress FUTEX2 system call for improving Windows games on Linux via Wine / Steam Play remains one of the items left to be addressed in 2021 with the work on that being funded by Valve and tackled by Collabora engineers...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

From my testing and others, Futex 2 with a supported kernel currently breaks a ton of games under Proton. It also breaks some game launchers like Origin. The code needs quite a bit more baking before it's ready to replace Fsync & Esync.

If an issue happens when running Proton Experimental against a kernel that has both futex2 and FUTEX_WAIT_MULTIPLE, and stops happening when setting WINEFSYNC_FUTEX2=0, please post it here.

Comment

On Manjaro it's already included in the kernel

Comment

Originally posted by xcom View Post
        whats the pont if its not ready? to break things?

Comment

Originally posted by xcom View Post
          Source?

Comment

Originally posted by Xaero_Vincent View Post
            From my testing and others, Futex 2 with a supported kernel currently breaks a ton of games under Proton. It also breaks some game launchers like Origin. The code needs quite a bit more baking before it's ready to replace Fsync & Esync.

https://github.com/ValveSoftware/Proton/issues/4568
            Might be that the issue are some workarounds/hacks in Wine? I did read up on the "ntsync" proposal, and it seems a miracle Wine even works with multi-core at all.
            On that same note, does futex2 bring something to the table outside of Wine? Wrapping everything windows-related in the "ntsync" proposal would make more sense if the answer is "no"

Comment

Comment

This is fsync, nothing to do with what the piece of news is about.

Comment

Originally posted by juxuanu View Post

This is fsync, nothing to do with what the piece of news is about.
                  Well they are connected. The patches that Manjaro have included is the base support for fsync, the new futex2() syscall will enable better performance for fsync in proton as of 5.13-6 but is not included in Manjaro. Likely that this is what you meant, I just wanted to clarify it a bit.

Comment

Originally posted by discordian View Post

Might be that the issue are some workarounds/hacks in Wine? I did read up on the "ntsync" proposal, and it seems a miracle Wine even works with multi-core at all.
                    On that same note, does futex2 bring something to the table outside of Wine? Wrapping everything windows-related in the "ntsync" proposal would make more sense if the answer is "no"
                    It brings the possibility to wait for several futexes at the same time using a single syscall. Not sure how many applications that will make use of it, but I can see several use cases personally so others might see the same.

Comment

Working...
                    X