Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Developers Continue New Push With LibreOffice In The Web Browser Via WebAssembly

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Developers Continue New Push With LibreOffice In The Web Browser Via WebAssembly

Phoronix: Developers Continue New Push With LibreOffice In The Web Browser Via WebAssembly

While there has been LibreOffice Online as a collaborative, web-based version of LibreOffice making use of the HTML5 Canvas for its UI, there hasn't been much activity there recently outside of the Collabora Online commercial variant. But developers are working on a current port of LibreOffice to the web browser using WebAssembly...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Disturbing prediction: One of the first things people will do with this is wrap it in java and webkit and build an Android app around it.

Comment

That might be the best thing to do. Online and easy collaboration have been a thing for a while now. And the libreoffice suite itself has hardly any real users, except for gnu/linux/bsds crowd. It's not without a reason. The suite itself is in my opinion worse then Openoffice was and is. LibreOffice doubled in size for only a few new features. It's one of the reasons why I went back to Apache OpenOffice, which I currently use. Apache OpenOffice might be hardly maintained, but it's fast, and I prefer the interface.

Comment

Originally posted by c117152 View Post
        Disturbing prediction: One of the first things people will do with this is wrap it in java and webkit and build an Android app around it.
        The current CollaboraOffice Android app is built like that already.

Comment

Originally posted by quikee View Post

Exactly, and it's already available in NextCloud via self-host or AppImage and uses the open document formats. Sometimes people underestimate the value of success providing the basics (Looking @ you KDE lol / no wonder some people choose openbox / i3 / etc today)

Comment

Originally posted by quikee View Post

There is the Collabora Office App for IOS and Android, which is available for Chromebooks too. These Apps are build one the efforts of the LibreOffice/Collabora Office Online version and share a lot code (all use also LibreOffice core), it's in essence Online running on your device with an App GUI wrapped around it.
            Last edited by sveld; 10 February 2021, 10:12 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by denpes View Post
              .... the libreoffice suite itself has hardly any real users, except for gnu/linux/bsds crowd. It's not without a reason. The suite itself is in my opinion worse then Openoffice was and is. LibreOffice doubled in size for only a few new features. It's one of the reasons why I went back to Apache OpenOffice, which I currently use. Apache OpenOffice might be hardly maintained, but it's fast, and I prefer the interface.
              Haha nice try; clearly you have no clue what has been done. Have fun with your OpenOffice, enjoying your x64 build yet? Already ODF 1.3 support? How's the interoperability using OOXML? Signing and Annotation? SKIA engine? You really think those payed dev's get free money, could it be that the ecosystem partners have paying customers?

Comment

Originally posted by sveld View Post
                Have fun with your OpenOffice, enjoying your x64 build yet?
                [QUOTE=sveld;n1237631]

Urm... people have been enjoying 64-bit builds for a while now. Many years before LibreOffice was a thing.

Originally posted by sveld View Post
                You really think those payed dev's get free money, could it be that the ecosystem partners have paying customers?
                Some people develop for passion and to better humanity. Otherwise you really wouldn't even have Linux. So, if those developers will only work if they are getting paid, they are not really embracing the FOSS community (They should probably stop using all those FOSS tools that they are relying on too if they don't want to give anything back.). A software suite is entirely possible without commercial partners. This feels more and more like a cash grab at the FOSS community expense.

I think many people are in the wrong mindset and should head back over to Windows if they think everything good can only be made with money.
                Last edited by kpedersen; 10 February 2021, 10:46 AM.

Comment

Yet one more diversion / deflection by The Document Foundation to keep on convincing all the lemmings that they--TDF--really do something useful, rather than solving The One--the ONLY--Big Problem: making LibreOffice absolutely compatible with Microsoft Office.

And, oh; by the way:
                  If your first response--or second, or third, which we've all heard before, ad nauseum--is, "That's Microsoft's fault; not TDF's(!)"; or, "Even Office is not compatible with Office"; well, here's some news: the cliff to the ocean is just up ahead.
                  Won't be long now.

Comment

Originally posted by c117152 View Post
                    Like the Apple Mac store apps that literally just packaged LibreOffice so that it is available via the store and then slap a $20 price tag on it - classic.

‎NeoOffice is an office suite for macOS that is based on old versions of OpenOffice and LibreOffice. With NeoOffice, you can view, edit, and save old OpenOffice and LibreOffice documents. Note: if you need to view, edit, and save newer LibreOffice or Microsoft Office documents, you may want to try L…

If you want dark mode, then pay even more extra xd

Comment

Working...
                    X