Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FreeBSD 13 BETA Benchmarks - Performance Is Much Better

Phoronix: FreeBSD 13 BETA Benchmarks - Performance Is Much Better

The official release of FreeBSD 13.0 is coming up in March, while already from our preliminary tests of the newly minted FreeBSD 13.0 BETA1, the benchmark results are extremely tantalizing compared to FreeBSD 12.2... Ultimately the performance should be much more competitive now compared to Linux (at least on Intel x86_64) and other operating systems with the big FreeBSD 13 release.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Cool, really cool. Intersting what really brough this?

Given how conservative FreeBSD code base is I doubt it have anything to do with kernel or core system libraries. So that would leave only newer clang as a fix.

Comment

Originally posted by blacknova View Post
      Cool, really cool. Intersting what really brough this?

Given how conservative FreeBSD code base I doubt it have anything to do with kernel or core system libraries. So that would leave only newer clang as fix.
      As mentioned in the article, workloads outside the scope of Clang have been performing much better as well on FreeBSD 13... And in general my Clang 10 vs. 11 benchmarks have not shown anything miraculous. Plus even benchmarks relying on hand tuned Assembly performing much faster.
      Michael Larabel
      https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

It seems really a breakthrough for freeBSD..
        Time for a GNU/Linux vs FreeBSD benchmark

Comment

Check out those OnLogic computers! Look forward to seeing the article on those. Also, congrats to the FreeBSD folks on delivering such great improvements.

Comment

Considering I have an armada of ZFS backup creature-hosts to update from the aging (but very stable) 11-series this year, a jump to 13 versus 12 is looking very promising.
            Last edited by BingoNightly; 10 February 2021, 08:07 PM.
            Don't expect much and seldom disappointed.

Comment

Awesome. I got interested in FBSD due to TrueNAS, but got put off by how backwards Bhyve is compared to KVM, and how barebones energy control is on it compared to Linux. Then I looked how many people actually work on it, and I have nothing but respect that so much gets done with so little manpower. The HWP support is very much welcome and should fix my biggest fear in using it (well, once TrueNAS rebases on top of FBSD13)

Comment

This is amazing because if I recall correctly the beta builds still have debugging turned on and it isn't until the release candidate phase that debugging is turned off. So final build performance is likely a touch higher still.

Comment

Originally posted by BlueCrayon View Post
                  Awesome. I got interested in FBSD due to TrueNAS, but got put off by how backwards Bhyve is compared to KVM, and how barebones energy control is on it compared to Linux. Then I looked how many people actually work on it, and I have nothing but respect that so much gets done with so little manpower. The HWP support is very much welcome and should fix my biggest fear in using it (well, once TrueNAS rebases on top of FBSD13)
                  If you think Bhyve is backwards and behind the times just try VMM on OpenBSD, it is severely lacking in features. Bhyve is a desert oasis compared to VMM. For example VMM is serial console or SSH only, no graphics.

Comment

I have never run CURRENT, but just curious, did you happen to test the if_bridge driver? I know they are supposed to improve it for FreeBSD 13. Should help improve network performance on vnet jails.
                    ​​​​​

Comment

Working...
                    X