Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Updated FUTEX2 Patches Posted For The Linux Kernel With A Focus On Helping Games

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Updated FUTEX2 Patches Posted For The Linux Kernel With A Focus On Helping Games

Phoronix: Updated FUTEX2 Patches Posted For The Linux Kernel With A Focus On Helping Games

It's approaching one year since the proposal of FUTEX2 for addressing shortcomings of the existing FUTEX system call and allowing the semantics to better match that of the Windows behavior, which is of use when running Windows games on Linux via Steam Play's Wine/Proton. In the end the FUTEX2 system call can lead to lower CPU utilization and in turn allowing for greater Linux gaming performance...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

So we already got the bypass patch for Windows DRM stuff.
    Now we need this FUTEX2 (with a possible patch for glibc as well) and then we need ntsync (formerly esync/fsync).

Then we're ready to fly right?

Comment

Originally posted by MastaG View Post
      So we already got the bypass patch for Windows DRM stuff.
      Now we need this FUTEX2 (with a possible patch for glibc as well) and then we need ntsync (formerly esync/fsync).

Then we're ready to fly right?
      He links to patched wine/proton using futex2 in his RFC patchset.

The futex2 doesn't solve any functional problem in wine. It already is solved, just being slow, and not guranteed to be 100% correct, but there is enough of workarounds in wine, for this not to matter.

As of Windows DRM, I have no idea what are you talking about.

Comment

Originally posted by baryluk View Post
        This is what he's talking about. (I think)
        https://www.gamingonlinux.com/2020/0...es-run-in-wine

I -think- he's thinking the combination of these patches will help him in getting more of his games working.
        Last edited by duby229; 15 February 2021, 04:31 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by baryluk View Post
          i guess he meant anticheat

Comment

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
            i guess he meant anticheat
            Anti-cheat and "Digital Rights Management" (gotta love that positive corporate spin)

Comment

Yeah I meant anti-cheat, sorry bout that.
              I was just summing up the additions to the Linux kernel which will benefit wine/proton in the future.

Comment

DRM is defective by design. We don't need that on Linux. Keep it clean and simple.

Comment

Originally posted by piorunz View Post
                  DRM is defective by design. We don't need that on Linux. Keep it clean and simple.
                  I agree in the sense that Linux devs really shouldn't be designing some kind of linux specific DRM scheme... But it does need to implement the mechanics required for other pre-existing DRM schemes so that linux users can have access to the content that they legally purchased or paid a subscription for...

Comment

Originally posted by duby229 View Post

I agree in the sense that Linux devs really shouldn't be designing some kind of linux specific DRM scheme... But it does need to implement the mechanics required for other pre-existing DRM schemes so that linux users can have access to the content that they legally purchased or paid a subscription for...
                    No, that's Windows users who legally purchased or paid subscription for Windows DRM content, and they should stay on their platform. No point of bringing Windows DRM content to Linux kernel just because people buy it for Windows and then moan that Linux don't have it. Use DRM-Free GOG versions of your games, or just don't buy them at all if they don't come as DRM free, it's that simple. By supporting DRM you are part of the problem.

Comment

Working...
                    X