KDE Plasma 5.21 Released With Better Wayland Support, Desktop Improvements

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KDE Plasma 5.21 Released With Better Wayland Support, Desktop Improvements

Phoronix: KDE Plasma 5.21 Released With Better Wayland Support, Desktop Improvements

The KDE community today released Plasma 5.21 as the latest major release of this open-source desktop...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Gonna give this a try asap, but I don't have any expectations for Wayland support until the devs themselves declare it ready. Probably not even then.

Comment

Finally a DE with proper low-latency vsync ootb and no weird thread-stalling all over the place.

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post
        Gonna give this a try asap, but I don't have any expectations for Wayland support until the devs themselves declare it ready. Probably not even then.
        I feel the same
        ## VGA ##
        AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
        Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post
          I'd say that when the devs declare it stable is the best time to keep a safe distance
          And in 6-12 months it'll be fine.
          In theory these time frames are very compatible with Kubuntu 22.04 LTS. (Declared stable in time for 22.04 and be truly stable for 22.04.3)
          I hope they'll work in practice too.

Comment

Originally posted by darkbasic View Post

I feel the same
            I'm not sad, it will still be better than 5.20 on X. I just don't get why Michael always needs to make it about Wayland first.

Comment

Just noticed, MC Solaar? Really?

Comment

I like the new system monitor even though is not as user friendly and easy to understand as the one in Windows 8/10 and you cannot rearrange the panels, like putting the CPU meter first and second the memory meter.
                I wish that the old start menu would be still there as an alternative so we could switch to it whenever we want, without the need to download the old one first.
                I'm not really sure the new one is really better better.
                Hopefully now it takes better advantage of systemd like cgroups.
                I like that they improved Wayland a lot and it's finally usable for me.

Comment

A lot of nice improvements for everyone but Debian 11 users, 'cause it will not be packaged anymore!

Comment

This new "Plasma System Monitor" takes 10% of my CPU...

Comment

Working...
                    X